Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mouth and face numbness  (Read 217 times)

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mouth and face numbness
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:49 AM »
Just wanted to post to whine about my symptoms that are driving me NUTS.  I get this weird numbness / tightness around my mouth, and tight band around my forehead, neck soreness, and sometimes even the "lump in the throat" feeling. 

My Dr. says it's all anxiety related ("Classic anxiety symptoms" as he calls it) and sent me on my way with a low dosage of Zoloft.  I have a followup appointment with him on the 30th of April.

I am trying SO HARD to believe him, that this is all anxiety, but I am not doing well with it.  I have a good day or two and then WHAM all the weird numbness or tightness comes back and sends me into full speed anxiety.

Even had heart palpitations in the shower today.  Monday morning, new week and I have to have freaking heart palpitations in the shower for no good reason.

This crap is REALLY getting old.  Been going on for a good 7 weeks now and I am sick of it.  Is this just stress?  Can it be for so long?  Everything I read here says YES.  Everything my Doc says is YES. 

I am just tired of it and want it to stop.

Thanks for reading my rant.  I'll go about my day now.  :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline TheLittleGenesis

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mouth and face numbness
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
It sounds very much like panic/anxiety. It's a pernicious little bugger that seems to mimic the symptoms of all the things I'm afraid of! My gold standard "test" when something feels weird is to take a Xanax - if the feeling goes away (and it always does) then I know it was anxiety. I've never had success treating my anxiety with SSRIs, have always had to use either Xanax/klonopin/Ativan. Are you seeing a psychiatrist? I've had awful luck with GPs treating my anxiety, unfortunately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
A couple of months ago I randomly started getting numbness and tingling in patches on my face and in my hands and feet.  It mostly happened while I was either falling asleep or just waking up.  I was convinced I had a brain tumor (that's one of my two main go-to's when I am in a bad HA spell), and failing that I was pretty sure I "at least" had MS.  I almost WANTED the doctor to tell me I had MS, so I could stop thinking about brain tumors.

The diagnosis: nothing.  And sure enough, the sensations went away after a week or so.  :)

Have you ever had your thyroid checked?  Thyroid problems can cause numbness, and is easily treated.  My sister has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and the blood test the Dr took indicated that I am at risk for developing it which she said could possibly have been the cause of the numbness.  But still, most likely anxiety.

Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I do have a thyroid issue and am taking a small amount of thyroid replacement drugs now, but have not felt any change from the meds at all (good or bad)

I am going to ask to have my levels checked again on Wednesday's appointment.  I was thinking that perhaps they are off and I might need an adjustment in my thyroid meds.

Only thing that is really getting me is that this has been going on strong for 6 or 7 weeks now.  That's want worries me most now....

sigh

Bookmark and Share

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
I should clarify: before I actually went to the doctor, the numbness had been going on for several weeks.  It went away about a week after the appointment.

If your thyroid numbers are off, it can cause many different seemingly unrelated symptoms, so it is worth re-testing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
Even had heart palpitations in the shower today.  Monday morning, new week and I have to have freaking heart palpitations in the shower for no good reason.

There doesn't need to be a "good reason."  Anxiety alone can cause it.  The body just gets ramped up, and it has to come out somehow.  Case in point, 5 years ago I was shopping for a new family car.  I was having palps all the time.  As soon as the new vehicle was purchased, they went away.  Boom, just like that.  Was a real eye-opener for me.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
I started looking at the "related posts" on the bottom of this post I see MANY people with the same face / cheek / mouth numbness as I have.  That DOES give me some comfort that others have experienced what I am going through for SURE.  Doesn't make the feeling go away, but it really helps with dealing with it. 

Thanks for all your replies to this post.  I really do appreciate it very much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
I wanted to follow up on this post.  I visited with my Doctor today who very calmly listened to all of my physical symptoms and AGAIN assured me that these are all anxiety related.  We also spoke about restless legs and periodic night time leg movements (which I have video evidence that I suffer from)  He agrees that I have RLS and gave me a prescription for that as well.  We'll see how it goes.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:02:31 AM »
Anxiety is the worst :/  I'm sorry it's giving you the business right now. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
Thank you Molly.  Very kind of you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: