Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: How do you calm yourself down?  (Read 305 times)

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
How do you calm yourself down?
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »
Whether you are terrified over nothing or you have an legitimate worry, how do you find ways to calm you down when you are freaking out?

I'm just freaking out uncontrollably, my heart is pounding, my body shaking, my mouth is dry. My brain is all foggy and I just feel like I have to be scared for some reason. How do you guys calm yourself down from that?
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you calm yourself down?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
Hi Proof, that's a good question:  How do you calm yourself down.

For me, I do 10 slow deep breaths.  I can do it at work, on the bus, anywhere.

Another things I do is close my eyes for a few minutes and just focus on everything I can hear around me.
That helps me be mindful and rooted in the present.

I also am buddhist so I chant Nam myoho renge kyo.

Another thing that helps in the morning is to do any kind of physical exercise for 10-15 minutes.
It helps release endorphins which are relaxing.

Hope that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »
Thanks for answering! Can I ask about the chants you do? What does it mean?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:38:28 AM »
Def some good suggestions already posted here. I find breathing can sometimes make me freak out even more because ill feel my head fill up with air etc etc. And closing my eyes makes me dizzy. In addition though....if you can stomach standing up....stretch. extend both arms up...stretch. Put your hands on your hips and lean to one side then the other...stretch.  Pull your legs up behind you, bend down then up slowly...stretch. Feel rhe tension in your muscles as you do it...those feelings are natural...they will ground you. Another good suggestion is to 'act normal.' Continue on with what you are doing, or start something new, stay occupied and bore those feelings away. Your body will catch up. Also, and this might sound random (because it is) but eating a peppermint or chewing gum, minty gum, helps me. And take a walk, look at things that are far off in the distance and wonder if you can make it that far. Get some sun, hug yourself. Do something silly when no one's looking. The dumber the better because it'll make you smile..and that's a start. Hope this advice helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:29 AM »
Thank you for all of your suggestions, Buddy! I've actually heard about the chewing gum thing, I can't believe I've forgotten about it! I should really try it out. Getting up and doing activities does seem to be the best way to distract people from a freak out, but I just have a hard time getting myself to do anything. When I freak out all I can do is sit on my couch and focus on it. The most I can do is watch tv but the anxiety is always on in the back of my mind. It's just so much easier said than done to actually do activities.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:15:26 AM »
Distraction always works for me.

I usually will go for a walk, and make sure I focus on my surroundings. If it's not nice enough to walk, I'll do a puzzle, or Soduko which makes my mind focus on something other than the panic
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
I think puzzles are a good idea too.  Unfortunately for me, when my anxiety gets going, there is no stopping it and the only thing that works for me to date ( and I emphasize the words "to-date") is to take one of my prescribed Klonopins. But part of the reason why I joined this forum is to cut back on the meds a bit.  Just a bit though because the meds are important for my kind of anxiety, I just feel for me that I have learned to rely on Klonopin too much.

So on to non-drug solutions!! For me going on a walk doesn't work because I have agoraphobia.  If I get in bed and play spider solitaire on my iPad that helps.  Petting or snuggling with my dog helps too.  Cleaning the house helps. Anything to distract me like that helps.

When you imagine a relaxing thing, what is it? A walk? A shower? Watching something funny on TV?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
Taking a walk is excellent advice. I love to take a drive when I'm stressed out. Blast my own music, drive on whatever roads I want....then when I'm at a stop, it forces me to confront my precious fears....but in a new way because I'm not allowed to freak out on the roads. This may sound odd but it definitely works for me. Windows down, music up, focus on the nature around me. No physical excertion involved so if a walk exacerbates your anxiety this may be another option.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:20 AM »

Hi Proof,

I would also add that cuddling with someone is calming for me.

You asked about the chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.  It's means "I devote myself to the mystic law of cause and effect through the teaching of a buddha."

Here is a video link:  BUDDHIST CHANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPEkzV2Rq4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLY61xqKoCKapSBJOk_5Nt0hQhqK5PFCfn

Bookmark and Share

Tags: