Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: help with health anxiety  (Read 58 times)

Offline bambi

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
help with health anxiety
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
I have joined as a last resort really, before having to give in and take prescription medication.

Over a month ago I fell and broke my wrist, and needed surgery. And there began my emotional journey. I am absolutely petrified of anything related to hospitals and operations etc etc.

I worried that I was going to die under anesthetic or the fairly routine surgery was going to go horribly wrong and the surgeon was going to have to amputate my hand....needless to say this didn't happen. In fact the surgery was a huge success and my wrist is healing nicely.

So, two days after surgery I had the worse headache ever, that wouldn't go away when I took painkillers, and then I convinced myself I was dying of a brain haemorrhage (I didn't even hit my head when I fell!) went to the doctors for the first time and she said absolutely no way was I to worry. It's just shock and side effects of the accident. Well that reassured me for an hour if that. Headaches were consistent for the next few weeks, and four trips to the doctors and one to the optician I still have severe health anxiety.

However I am over the brain haemorrhage thought now, and now have physical symptoms like fatigue, dizziness, weaknesses and numbness in arms and legs. Also tension in my neck and very slight headaches. I still feel like my time on this earth is limited and I am no dying of something else but I don't know what, I have even convinced my doctor to send me for blood tests.

Am I alone in this?? I think I know deep down on not dying but why is this all I can think about.

And I have a lovely life, good family, friends and I am lucky enough to have met my soulmate. I'm scared to loose them by dying.

Well there it is all about me....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: help with health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :action-smiley-065:

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with health anxiety. It's incredibly difficult. My one suggestion is to stop googling/looking up symptoms. Although you didn't say that you're doing that I assume that you are  :yes:. Basically, the thought/belief that you have an illness is an irrational thought and every time you look up symptoms you are reinforcing the irrational thought/belief; essentially, you're teaching your brain..."See, you should worry about this. It's real and you have some of the symptoms".

Of course, steering clear of looking up symptoms is not a cure-all but it will help immensely. Speaking from experience here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chiraeneya

• C dawg in da house
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
Oh my, Amen. I know how you feel!

I am 17, and like 2 months ago, I was at my ex-boyfriend's house. I wrote something stupid to his friend on his Tumblr, and he tried to get the laptop off me, but when he got it, I let go and I flew back and I actually did smack my head off of a solid wooden bed-frame.

I was convinced I was dying by the 3 week mark after the accident because I was lightheaded EVERY day (I am right now as I write this!) and it began to worry me so bad that I had my ex drive me to A&E on a Sunday night! We sat for about an hour and a half and I got tired of waiting because I had school in the morning - so I got up and spoke with a doctor and he asked me some questions like was I knocked out or have I been vomiting/passing out? etc. And no, I hadn't. So he told me I could head home and come back in the morning - but to come back to hospital if I was going to be sick.

Now, knowing what anxiety is like... if I am told that the danger is in vomiting, then obviously my brain is going to make me worry to the point I think I am going to throw up. I ended up sleeping in my mum's bed crying from worry thinking I wasn't going to wake up in the morning... but I did!

My mum took me to A&E after school the next day. After 5 and a half hours, I was seen by a doctor who did some tests on me like checking my pupils were the same size, checking my ears, my pulse, blood pressure, co-ordination/co-operation speeds and my skull for any dents or cuts. I turned out to be fine, considering I hit my head VERY hard, at the back too - very sensitive part of the head that.  :spineyes:

But yeah, it's now been 2 months since the accident and I STILL feel lightheaded. It's a pain in the neck (or should I say head, lol) but it worries me because I get sore where I hit my head and I get REALLY sore headaches sometimes. I also thought I had a brain hemorrhage but luckily (thank God) didn't.

The same thing happened in 2012 when I over-dosed and had a 4 hour severe palpitation and low blood pressure attack - I was convinced my heart was screwed after that and it'd palpitate when I wasn't even thinking about it. But now it isn't even in my sub-concious anymore and it only palpitates if I drink too much coffee  :bigsmile:

You definitely aren't alone. I always panic about getting cancer or some other dangerous disease, cuz I am petrified of dying young. Like so scared it makes me sick!! Ok shutting up now but at least you know you aren't alone  :yes:  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
If you don't think cats are cute you're either the devil or you have no feelings :))))) ~ Courteney

Tags: