Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm a mess... Need your help  (Read 154 times)

Offline zephyrhill

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm a mess... Need your help
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
First off let me say that it's taken me some time to get to this point of seeking help from others about my problems I've been having.  I'm looking for insight and to relate with other people on here about my problems.  This is going to be lengthy but here we go.

I'm a male in my 30's that was in perfect physical and mental health until about 3 years ago when I needed to have knee surgery for a torn meniscus and MCL sprain.  During my recovery I was given percosets and used them as prescribed...  After I used up all my meds I felt like I went through a withdrawal from not having them anymore.  This was the start of my spiral to where I am now.

I travel for work and a few weeks after I recovered from the surgery I was on the road again.  During my travels I felt very weak at times and had bad headaches, stomach pains, and a hard beating hard.  I went to the ER out of town because of this and their conclusion was that I was fatigued.  I was released and went on my way.

Several weeks later while I was at home I started having bad stomach pains, they were all over and gave me bouts of diarrhea and severe cramping.  Once again I went to the ER and since the wait was so long I decided to leave before being seen.  The next morning the pain was not severe but had went down to my appendix area and so I went to the ER again.  Several hours later I was in surgery for an inflamed appendix (supposedly). 

Fast forward to several weeks after my appendectomy and I'm in the same situation again.  I'm traveling and don't feel well again.  I had bouts of headaches, chest pains, and pains in my joints.  Weakness and fatigue is always occuring as well.  Most of the time I fight it off and wait until I get home so I can speak to my doc. 

During the next few years I have been fighting my health and been going into the ER several times for my problems.  I have been diagnosed with sinus infections, without any blood tests to back it up, which lead me to seeing an allergist who told me I am allergic to most trees, grasses, and weed pollens including dust.  So now i'm on allergy medicines. 

Fast forward to the past 6 months and I still don't feel like myself.  I get very tired and get headaches that can't be remedied with aspirin.  I get bad joint pains, chest pains, my heart beats hard, and I feel like i'm overly anxious about my health.  I break down and go to the doc once more and demand tests for immune related problems, as my sister had been diagnosed with lupus several years back.  The doc tested me for lyme, several lupus tests, etc.  The only thing that came back abnormal was that I had been exposed to parvo at some time in the past. 

I was referred to an rheumatologist to follow up on my tests and she thinks that I might have the onset of lupus due to having a malar rash on my face at the time, which comes and goes.  All my other tests had come back negative.

And here I am now.  I'm currently traveling for my job again and I'm stricken by pains in my ribs on the right side of my chest and a headache. 

I've had enough of it and as I try to seek answers for my problems the more I think I'm just making this all up since there have been no conclusive tests to prove otherwise.  I also think this might be the case because I can distract myself with activities that take my mind off feeling bad and then I feel fine. 

I don't want to admit it might be a mental problem but all signs are leading to this being the cause.  I've tried to reason with myself all the time that it's all in my mind but it doesn't seem to usually help.  Sometimes I break down and literally cry and it seems to help. 

I just want to get myself back to where I was 3 years ago before everything started going wrong.  This is why I am here. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline zephyrhill

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm a mess... Need your help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »
And now for the past several days i've been getting headaches and a pressure feeling behind my knees.  Up until today it was my left knee now it's moved over to my right.  So frustrating.  I wake up in the morning and for about the first 5-10 minutes i feel good then something happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:55:31 AM »
Nice to meet you :)  Just sorry it has to be here!

It is possible that what you're experiencing is based in anxiety.  Stomach problems, fatigue, rapid heartbeat and headaches are all very common anxiety symptoms. 

Have you talked to your doctor about the possibility of this being anxiety-related?  He might have suggestions for steps to take.  He could possibly recommend you a mental health professional if he agrees with the assessment of it being anxiety, etc. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:21 AM »
My friend, talk about a serious snapping point. First I would like to say... the way you expressed yourself I can definitely tell that you are doing what is best for yourself just by what you have done.

First off, I am certainly curious on how long you were on percosets for? When I broke my collarbone I was given a total of 60 hydrocodone to be taken every four hours. I started to slow my roll with them when the pain began to be tolerable and I eventually quit them. The next few days I had felt rather funny but I don't think I was near any point of withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand my girlfriend broke her leg clean through and took the Hydrocodone 10's two at a time, every four hours for almost a month... and then took them somewhat regularly for another month or so. of course that was a longer healing process and extremely excruciating.. and her being as an extreme lightweight that she is... she had shown 0 signs of withdrawal symptoms following this. and she had many refills.

I'm probably going to have to come to the conclusion that it varies per person and how your body specifically reacts to the type of medication. Do you think you may have been having an alergic reaction to them? Of course some of those symptoms may fall into the withdrawal catagory but it's really hard to say.

That was a responsible thing to do when you are unsure that you sought professional help. although it yielded little to no results, it was probably a little bit relieving knowing they didn't find anything crucial but that is rather questionable for them to leave you hanging with no explanation. If I enter the sanctuary of doctors seeking their professional aid, I won't leave until I have some type of explanation as to what's really going on. But as you see, you had a great call with your appendix.

From the sounds of it your body is going through a lot, but it does seem that it's spanned over quite a timeframe, but from the tests you have taken most have yielded zero complicating factors.. that's a pedestal to stand on.

I noticed you are often bouncing around the thought that "The more I think about it, the worse it gets" or "The more I believe I'm making this all up." or even "It's hard to see this problem as serious because when I am distracted it takes my mind off of feeling bad and I feel fine."
That sounds more along the lines of your personal self battling what is known and what is experienced. You can constantly tell yourself nothing is wrong but then what if something is wrong? Just because you take your mind off of a papercut to the point that it no longer hurts... then is it really there? That's a really tricky base to battle. There really is no definite answer.. If something hurts or something is bothering you then that alone poses as a problem. Sure you could shrug it off for the meantime, but does that mean it goes away forever?

It's tough man and I wish I had some rock solid answers but I feel those bouts as well sometimes. I think the best that you can do is go with your true gut feeling. Aside all of the reasoning... If you make any single decision your mind can make a million reasons why you should choose a different decision. Just as you anticipated that apendix, you knew something was wrong and you sought the help you needed. but it's nothing really to be proactive about, only when the circumstance arises.

Wish the best to you, sorry I went on a rambling tangent here.. I'm half asleep.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: