Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone here had swollen lymph nodes for a long amount of time?  (Read 460 times)

Offline EnglishT

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've had enlarged lymph nodes in my right groin for about 5 months now and I am currently undergoing tests to find out why.

I'm worried about Lymphoma. During the last 5 months I've had 2 ultrasound scans which have shown that the lymph nodes haven't got bigger and they haven't got any smaller. Doctor is concerned because they've been enlarged for such a long amount of time.

Anyone here had swollen nodes?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone here had swollen lymph nodes for a long amount of time?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
With lymphoma they would continue to get bigger, so I don't think you need to worry about that.  Perhaps he's worried about a stubborn infection of some sort.  I've had nodes stay big for quite some time until I treated the underlying problem, usually an infection I hadn't addressed/noticed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »
Nodes go up and down when fighting infection.  But, some will stay up because they have developed scar tissue....especially if you played with them when they were inflamed.  Groin nodes are not nearly as worrisome as some other nodes.  There are certain nodes I worry much less about...and the groin is one of those locations.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
I have 2 swollen lymph nodes about the same size of a bean, and they have bee that way for 2 years without changing. This is also my main HA worry, but logic tells me that if nothing has drastically changed by now, I am fine and it's all in my head. Of course if i could get my subliminal mind to listen to logic, I would be much better off.

Hang in there though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
Do you know what size the nodes are?

I had one in my groin and I was told it was just scarred and would stay that way.

It would continue to grow
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyCalamari

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
Can confirm. I've had a lymph node in my neck for at least a year now that is constantly up which triggered my really bad health anxiety fears. I haven't had any scans on it but my only guess could be that its scarred, as it is large when I'm sick/anxious and small when I'm not. It would make sense that its scarred for a number of factors though:
  • My tonsils have been removed, this means my lymph nodes have to work harder to defend my body
  • One of my safety behaviours is pulse checking and formerly checking the lymph node, as someone said before this could scar it
  • The immune system is weaker during episodes of anxiety so you are more likely to get sick, therefore your oynoh nodes will flare up to defend your body
I'm sure there an explanation for why yours might be scarred, too. As long as they don't grow larger you will most likely be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
And remember by grow, they mean significant growth. Dont check it every day and thinking its maybe a mm larger and get worried, because I was doing that for awhile.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EnglishT

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
Mine have been swollen for about 5 months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ira

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
I have two lymph nodes (next to my carotid artery) that have been noticeable since I was little.  Both the size of large lima beans.  I used to get strep all the time as a kid so the doctors never got worried.  Ive had them for over 10 years now and they don't bother me.  I have a few others which the doctors not worried about but they're sore and not even pea sized so I guess I caught a nasty bug.  Once you know what a lymph node is and does they become your worst enemy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »
I had painful lymph nodes for a couple of months, they luckily went away recently. Some times a lymph node that doesn't shrink needs to be drained, which is no big deal as far as I understand.

If the scans showed they haven't actually grown, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 10:31:08 PM »
Nothing can be scarier than swollen lymph nodes, but they are very common. The chances of something being seriously wrong is incredibly low. I have one in my neck right now, and plenty of other people have them too! You'd be surprised how many people actually get them and turn out just fine!
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline hoov22

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
I have a couple in and around my neck...one has been there for many years and the other I only noticed about a year ago. as a precaution I had them scanned to find they were not swollen due to a reaction to anything indicating that they were just this size now as that sometimes happens after a previous infection. They are very small, around 1cm and they haven't changed at all, even after a bad flu, in over 6 months. I think I'm fine and my understanding from talking to my dr is that changes that were of concern would've happened by now. I hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: