Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is it depression if you know why you're sad?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Beth

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Is it depression if you know why you're sad?
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

So, I've always had anxiety and a lot of it has centered around health. Lately, though, I have a lot of sadness mixed in with my anxiety. I'm trying to figure out if I have depression or whether I just have a collection of life circumstances that are colliding and bringing me down all at once.

Here are the things I'm depressed about:

1. I can't stand my job. I work in an old, ugly building in a gloomy neighborhood. Even though my job is in the field I studied in college, I no longer see myself fitting in with this field. I'm bored a lot, and there is no opportunity for advancement. Even if there was, I don't think I'd want to advance in this job with this company.

2. Coming to realize that I'm not cut out for this particular career, I feel like I've wasted so much of my life. Over the last 15 years, I could have been studying something else. I could have been building a career that I'm proud of. Instead, I'm trying to find a way out.

3. My husband and I live several hours away from my family (again, this is because of our jobs). I feel like I've let people down by not being closer. And I feel like I, too, would have been happier living in my home city, rather than just living in a place where I was offered a job.

4. I have an elderly relative who's dealing with serious health problems. I feel terrible about what they're going through -- and, again, it reminds me of how much time with family I've missed. I start to think things like, "Soon, everyone -- including me -- will have a serious health problem. What's the point?" (Happy stuff, I know).

5. I've started applying for new jobs, but it's not easy. I haven't had any success -- or even an interview -- yet.

6. I try to use the little things in life (a dinner out, holidays, family visits, sporting events, exercise, etc.) as a way to lift my mood and it usually works. Sometimes, though, when one of those things is over, I feel let down again. We went to a baseball game last week. Our favorite team was winning and then lost on a late home run. I felt so sad, crushed -- like "Even baseball lets me down."

I know I can be happy because when something positive happens, my mood can pick up in a hurry. It's like I just need to see some hope -- some light at the end of the tunnel -- and I can get recharged. Lately I don't see as much light and find myself wondering if I'll ever feel happy again.

FWIW, I do see a therapist/psychologist for anxiety. This helps sometimes. Right now, though, I just feel like the only thing that will help is a change in life circumstances. I'm trying to make that happen, but the process isn't going fast enough for my liking.

Sorry if this is too long or rambling, but thank you for reading.

Beth
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it depression if you know why you're sad?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
Depression is a prolonged feeling of sadness with or without specific reason, so yes, it can be depression though yo know why you are sad :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
wow Ashley I have been feeling the same way too. I've dealt with anxiety for years but I've been going though a rough period since early april and depression has came into the mix. At first I thought I was just feeling depressed because my anxiety had seemed to have worsened and I wasn't working. Then I found a temp job that i'm still working at but I cant stand it and even when its the weekend I cant stay happy. Maybe it's the dread of knowing i'll be going back to work there Monday. This depression thing seems so off and on lately. Like i'll get a glimmer of hope if i'm out doing something but like right now when I don't have anything really going on I feel that depressed feeling like "oh great everyone else has something going on and i'm  just here at home and wasting my weekend and before you know it work will be here." it sucks. I hate feeling this depressed feeling. I went through it for a few months back in 2009 but it went away for years now its back and I forgot how bad it sucks . There's got to be someway we can get past it, I did before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flyaway

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
Yes it is depression if you have a reason.  I am really depressed right now and for a pretty specific set of reasons.  I'd like to be happy again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Camaroman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
I am suffering from severe depression for a very specific reason.  Depression is just that whether there is an explanation for it or not.  I used to think that people could make a conscious choice to be in a positive mood.  I have learned that is not the case.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: