Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: suffer from OCD, ANXIETY and DEPRESSION  (Read 161 times)

Offline peter.1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
suffer from OCD, ANXIETY and DEPRESSION
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
hi all, so im age 23 and from i was very young ive always had all 3, they have prevented me to do many things and still persist on doing so, i have seeked professional help but none have been any use to me, i am currently in university and i get thoughts rushing through me say "if you read this line something bad will happen"..... i cant live with this no more and i am lost and confused and don't know what to do, my family are extremely supportive however after a 1 hour chat with them i feel better for another 2 hours then they it fades away!

is this what life is really all about..... ive tried almost everything,,,,

kind regards
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: suffer from OCD, ANXIETY and DEPRESSION
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline yamahayz250f

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
Like you, I have tried everything. Meds and therapy. It seems their is nothing positive in sight at times. I'm hoping to that talking with people in the same situations with be part of the help we need. Well wishes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
Hi Peter.1 - I read your post -- don't give up!!  I am 42 and I have suffered mostly with anxiety but also with a bit of OCD my whole life.  Part of my problem comes from genetics and part of it from my upbringing (that is where the co-dependence, alcohol abuse and feelings of low self worth come from) .  I have tried on and off medication my whole life and just finally stabilized on Lexapro.  I really try to isolate my triggers for symptoms now and when a know a situation is coming that will drive up my anxiety then I just deal with it as it comes.  Sometimes I deal with it well and sometimes I don't deal with it very well.  But I get through it and today is a new day.  You are young and you have your entire life ahead of you.  Anxiety is not an easy road for any of us and its so complicated.  What works for one person might not work for another but we can all find SOMETHING that help, even if its just a little its better than nothing.

College was a disaster for me.  People said I was "weird".  I had bad social anxiety so I would binge drink regularly.  I ate to comfort myself and gained 30 pounds.  I talked too much and never listened, how could I listen with the constant dialog running itself over and over in my head?  I had insomnia constantly and therefore spent hours alone, thinking thinking thinking about all the things I hated about myself.  I wished that I would wake up as someone else.  Somehow I managed to do reasonably ok in school (classroom learning works really well for me), but college was less than perfect for me.  The good news is that it was enough to set me up for a good career.

Peter.1 I don't know very much about your symptoms but the fixating on irrational thoughts (like if you read a line in a book, something bad will happen) -- medication can really help with that.  I tried a whole bunch of meds and finally landed on Lexapro.  It doesn't eliminate my symptoms but it works great for me for social anxiety.  One problem under control is better than no problems under control.  I also take Clonazepam regularly but that isn't a long term solution because it wears off (unlike an anti depressant) Another way to manage irrational thoughts is to look for evidence to support it.  If you can't find enough evidence then it's probably not true.  the problem here is you can waste hours and hours looking on the Internet going back and forth on if something is true and if you are determined enough you will undermine yourself. 

My husband has a great anecdote that I use often to calm myself down.  The only person in control of you is you.  Once you get on a plane, don't worry about it crashing because if its going to crash, you can't do a darn thing about it so what's the point of worrying.  He also told me that turbulence rarely causes a plane to crash.   So don't get scared when there is turbulence, you have better chance of winning the lottery than dying in a plane crash due to turbulence.  These are all facts and there is evidence to support it.  So I look for evidence a lot in order to stop irrational thinking.

The most important thing is not to give up hope. We are all going to survive.  And keep seeking treatment - if your family is supportive ask them to help you find good treatment options. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: