Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood clot fears  (Read 191 times)

Offline LadyCalamari

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood clot fears
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Hi guys, I've been lurking this place for a while and it's helped a lot. So thank you to everyone here!

To get to the point: lately I've been feeling a heaviness/tightness in my left leg, especially my knee, accompanied random pains all over my leg. I also get tightness and pain where I have some spider veins which has triggered my fears a lot.
I've noticed when I wear jeans my left leg feels tighter as well, though after measuring both legs (yup, I'm that obsessive) they're the same size.
I've already been to the GP for this (who knows I have health anxiety) and she examined my calf and said it felt normal, then sent me for a blood test. That also came up normal. Though I am aware to see the blood clot I would need an ultrasound.
The feeling of heaviness in my knee has been there for a while (since last year), but used to only get there when I had been sitting around for a long time. Now, however, it is a lot more frequent. I have had this high frequency of heaviness along with the leg pain for exactly three weeks now. Furthermore, there are a couple of pressure points in my left leg that are painful when I put pressure on them, and one in my foot.
Could it really be DVT or a blood clot, or am I just being silly?
Thank you for reading!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood clot fears
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
What did your doctor say what might be causing it and how it can be treated?
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyCalamari

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
She didn't give me a particular cause but asked me to take ibuprofen, which didn't really work. She also only gave me the blood test because she was worried about the bruising on my leg (which I tried to explain I got while climbing a fence drunk but she wasn't having it  :laugh3:).
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40:23 AM »
 :laugh3: Reminds me of the time I was being seen by the surgeon who would be removing my ovarian cysts.  He was pretty sure it wasn't anything sinister - and it wasn't - but he checked my nodes and whatnot anyway, and noticed a huge bruise on my arm.  He was immediately asking me if I had any others like that, etc.  I tried to explain that I'd just whacked it on a closet doorknob on a nighttime trip to the bathroom, but he seemed to find it hard to believe that anyone could be that much of a doofus. 

(Also w/r/t blood clot in your leg - if you had one, your leg would look like an eggplant and be incredibly painful.) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
I used to worry about DVTs obsessively.  Then my Dad had one…it was so obvious that I quit worrying.  If you had one, you would know.  There is no mistaking it.

I scratched my leg once and had a nasty scratch along with an impressive bruise.  The Dr and the nurse freaked…it was kind of funny.  It did earn me a tetanus shot though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyCalamari

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
Thank you for your reassurance, guys! This leg pain is definitely a nuisance, but I know it's nothing serious now. But yeah, what is the deal with doctors and bruises? I bruise so easily and it's never been an issue, ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
I guess besides our dreaded cancers they can signify things like vitamin deficiency.  But it's always odd when they jump on some sign or symptom we have that's actually NOT worrying us, when we have a million that they seem to ignore! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Thank you for your reassurance, guys! This leg pain is definitely a nuisance, but I know it's nothing serious now. But yeah, what is the deal with doctors and bruises? I bruise so easily and it's never been an issue, ever.

I always thought that doctors and nurses ask about bruises out of concern that someone is in an abusive relationship…My wife walked into the bed when she was pregnant and had a huge bruise on her leg. Every time we went to a doctor's visit, they would have me leave the room and ask about the bruise. I felt a lot of suspicious glances in my direction (but maybe that is partially my own paranoia.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyCalamari

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
I always thought that doctors and nurses ask about bruises out of concern that someone is in an abusive relationship…My wife walked into the bed when she was pregnant and had a huge bruise on her leg. Every time we went to a doctor's visit, they would have me leave the room and ask about the bruise. I felt a lot of suspicious glances in my direction (but maybe that is partially my own paranoia.)
Yeah, my doctor asked if I was being bullied! She said she had to ask just in case, and and I understand why, but she seemed to focus on it the most instead of my actual symptoms  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share