Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: One thing I believed helped me a lot with my anxiety  (Read 424 times)

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
One thing I believed helped me a lot with my anxiety
« on: April 25, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
I've been suffering from hypochondria for a long time. Sometimes it is really bad, sometimes it is manageable, but I don't recall ever been so rational/calm in my life.

I did post two topics recently, one with bloody nose, where I had slight anxiety 3/10 but before it would be higher for sure and the most recwnt one where I wasn't anxious just curious what it could be and has anyone experienced it before.

Anyway, back on topic...I am taking Prozac since beginning of January and I haven't seen any benefits for full 3 months so either it has started working magically or...

Swimming 5xweek is greatly increasing my mood. I have been exercising on and off for years, but mostly muscle building exercises, never cardio since I wasn't fat. Then I found out that swimming pool opened relatively close to my house and I started going. That was 2 months ago. At the beginning I would swim 500m 30mins and I didn't notice a lot benwfits. But then, my fitness level raised and I was able to swim 1km. For the 2weeks I've been going 5xday monday-friday, pushed myself each time, managed to swim 1.75km in 50mins and most importantly my mood increased significantly. I am happy as ever.

Conclusion : Exercise can be extremely beneficial for your anxiety treatment, but not just any kind of exercise, aince at least for me muscle building didn't do a thing. I actually really love swimming so that has maybe helped even more, but I think any type of cardio workout done 5xweek for 45mins would help you a lit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: One thing I believed helped me a lot with my anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
I was too exercise is more effective for anxiety and depression than all medications on the market! Now if only I could get motivated ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Egg

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
I love it when people post things that have helped them, so thank you for that!

I too find cardio helpful for mood.  For me, walking is good, but running is better.  What works great for me is, after a three-minute warmup, running progressively harder over a 20-minute period.  A treadmill is good for this because you can dial up the speed manually.

I will try swimming, too, because I can see how the rhythmic breathing would also be helpful in controlling anxiety. My neurologist told me that breath-holding, hyperventilation, and other abnormal breathing patterns can both result from and provoke anxiety. Things that break that cycle -- cardio, yoga, singing, etc. -- are good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bukowski

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
Great positive thread!

*Almost* nothing makes me feel better than lifting weights. A nice, hard session at the gym does wonders for the body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline diaphanous

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
What a great post!  A good reminder that we have to take care of our bodies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Update:

I keep swimming 5xweek, now 2kms each time and it takes me about an hour to do that. I'm feeling better then ever, much more rational when I get new symptoms so I want to encourage everyone to exercise daily (cardio preferred) since I am sure it will help you with anxiety like it helped me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: