Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trying to get the nerve to schedule my first mammo!  (Read 244 times)

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Trying to get the nerve to schedule my first mammo!
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
I turn 40 next month and have scheduled all of my yearly appts for the same day to get them done and over with - GYN, dermatology, eye, and an allergy appt I know I need.  I have scheduled all of this for May 20.  I turn 40 on May 13.  I want to schedule my first mammogram for that day too just to get it out of the way, but I've been dreading this day for years and am scared of getting that callback, etc.  I've been told in the past I have fibrocystic breasts and I've recently lost a lot of weight too and have heard that can cause callbacks.  Just looking for encouragement to do this, I guess......
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trying to get the nerve to schedule my first mammo!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
My mom put it off till she was 45. Everything was ok..they did see a small fibrous tissue but that's it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
I've been getting annual mammograms since age 35 because of a strong family history.  And in 11 years of mammograms, I've only been called back once for a spot compression/ultrasound on a suspicious area that turned out to be nothing.  The waiting is nerve-wracking but it's great to get the all-clear!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
Just do it.  Don't think about it, just make the call.

And it's pretty common to be called back after your first one, because they have nothing to compare it to and aren't sure what your "normal" is, so if that does happen, no need to freak out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
The waiting is what is going to be the hardest for me.  I go into freak-out mode waiting for test results and I honestly can't function.  I think once I get this first one out of the way, future ones won't be quite as hard just because I'll be on top of everything, but I can't help but wonder what if I do have BC and it's been sitting there undetected and it's so advanced?  I guess that's just my imagination going crazy.  I just really wish I could go to a place that gives me the results when I have it done, but I know that won't be the case  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
I've been having them since I was 38, I'm 44 now.  Also for family history.  I had one call back in all that time and it was nothing, just some overlapping skin.

The worrying about it is far worse than the test itself.  I always worry about it too and I thought after that one call back I would have them all the time, but I haven't.  I also was told I had a cyst in my breast years ago and they have never mentioned it on a mammogram.

Just get it over with.  You'll be glad you did.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
I got one at 18! I had a breast lump then (it went away eventually). Just do it. You will be glad it's over with instead of stressing about putting it off and wondering what if you are missing something. That's how I was with the dentist a year ago.... I kept putting it off because I was scared. In fact I put it off almost 3 years. When I finally went I had 6 cavities, and yes I brush twice a day and floss! So I really regret putting things off now, even if it scares me. In fact tomorrow I have a cleaning at the dentist. :) I still hate it, but I figure it's best to get it over with instead of letting bad things happen by waiting....
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »
I was in your shoes last year.  I am 45 and my mother had breast cancer when she was 43.  I was having several scary symptoms such as pain in one breast along with discharge.  I was terrified!  I put it off and put it off until we moved to another state, I got a new doctor and some how she convinced me to get it done.  I just kept thinking about my kids and my not knowing if something was wrong.  Those thoughts gave me courage to go.

I made the appt and had my husband go with me.  I cried before the mammogram was done I was SO scared and SO sure they would find something terrible.  The technician was so kind and said that she never tells patients anything but because I was so scared she said that she really didn't see anything unusual. 

However, there are higher risks of getting a call back on your very first visit because they have nothing to compare to.  She said I was the 4th new patient that day and at least one of us would be called back.

I never got a call back and received a letter in the mail a week letter stating that everything looked normal.  I was shocked and it took a while to believe. 

But, you will feel SO relieved after having it done.  I'm sure everything is just fine.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: