Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxious about not being anxious?  (Read 192 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxious about not being anxious?
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
It's almost like my body and mind  is so use to being anxious, when my body is calm I start hyperventilating. Almost like it craves anxiety. Anyone go through this?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxious about not being anxious?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:35 AM »
We are just so used to been anxious. That if we get a day off and feel good we imagine something must be wrong. As we don't normally feel this way. So we go and look for things to be wrong again. Try and just enjoy the odd day off you might get. But you are not the only person who does this. Hundreds do it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
Believe it or not, when I was a student in my emergency medicine rotation we actually had a young man come in to the ER with the complaint of being calm. Because he was anxious every single day. And he felt there had to be something wrong with his body if he wasn't anxious......the good news being that we didn't find anything wrong, but it was a challenge trying to find a way to help him.

I don't quite get this sensation myself, however I've found that I can't meditate at the end of my lunch hour especially if I have a 1:00 PM patient. I can't tolerate the abrupt shift from full stillness and calm to jumping back into the routine, I get some rebound anxiety from that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flyaway

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »
Yep I can totally relate to this.

I think the reason why I sometimes feel this way is due to that old chestnut you often hear re: Anxiety, which is that the things you fear never come true.  My brain interprets that as "Something is not right.  You must worry or something bad will happen!!!".

Stupid brain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline diaphanous

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
That is exactly what happened to me today!  Been ill for a week and feel fine today, but panicking because of it... sheesh.  I think that the longer you go between attacks, you build a "threshold" and mine got completely torn down when I was sick, so I'm extra susceptible to them right now. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: