Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Are mornings worse?  (Read 244 times)

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Are mornings worse?
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
Has anyone found that their intrusive thoughts are worse in the mornings? I've only been diagnosed with OCD for less than three weeks, because of a severe flare up I finally went to a psychiatrist. He was very encouraging and said that while OCD is chronic, it's manageable through treatment. I've been on fluoxetine for 17 days, and have experienced brief periods, a handful of evenings, where I've felt completely better. And nights are generally better for me anyway. I think after my wife and I put the kids to bed I'm able to relax some, which helps.

But then my anxiety takes over during my sleep and I wake up in various levels of depression and/or anxiety. In fact, I know I'll be able to recognize my recovery when I wake up without the anxiety, even if it comes back during the day, I'll know I've turned a corner.

Any thoughts on the mornings?

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Are mornings worse?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
no specific time of day is better or worse for me. could morning be more of  a stressful time for you? maybe facing the day, getting kids fed and ready for school/babysitter, heading to work etc. well i can say that i do get more anxious around 12 noon if its my day to pick the kids up from school. i guess its anticipation anxiety. knowing i have to drive to the school get stuck in those lines possibly. the pressure of knowing that i HAVE to be there is enough to stress me out.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
Thanks Walnut.
I think it's related to my insomnia and MDD when I think about it. I wake up too early after too little sleep. My depression is deeper thinking about managing through the day, and my tired mind runs wild. My pdoc just put me on trazadone to help with sleep. I actually slept 5 straight hours the other night and woke up without the depression for the first time since mid march. Onward, upward!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »
It's a good sign that the prozac seems to be helping after just 17 days.  This is what happened to me years ago on another antidepressant -- I started gradually feeling better until I was happier than I'd ever been in my life.  I was 28 years old then.  Years later when I wasn't  on effective treatment I dreaded waking up in the morning because a few minutes after I got up the severe obsessions would start.  I don't remember obsessing in my sleep but I used to go through cycles of very bad nightmares and also cycles of insomnia.  My obsessions are pretty well controlled now with lexapro, but I still get nights were I can sleep 10-12 hours in a row and nights like last night were I only sleep 1 to 3 hours.  I'm sure it's anxiety, but thankfully I can often nap for a couple hours in the afternoon on the nights I sleep poorly.  It's also great that the trazadone is helping improve your sleep!  For OCD it can take up to 12 weeks for you to know how well an antidepressant will help.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:17:33 AM »
Thanks bluerose,
I've for sure had a better couple of days the past few days. Still getting intrusive thoughts, but I'm managing them more rationally and they're not inducing as much anxiety.

Insomnia is the worst! Well, if not the worst, it's pretty awful and it doesn't make the OCD any better, does it? And I don't know about you, but I love naps. I never have sleep anxiety around a nap. I can lie down and sleep relatively easy in the afternoon, but at night it's a different story.
Best wishes!
Bookmark and Share