Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could Confidence Be The Key To Overcome Anxiety?  (Read 194 times)

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could Confidence Be The Key To Overcome Anxiety?
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
I got to thinking again :) about how my confidence level effects my state of anxiety.  All cases are different of course, but it really did seem to make sense to me.  It seems a lot of anxious thoughts have a certain degree of insecurity behind them, for example, 'I'm afraid to go out because...', or 'my anxiety goes through the roof because of....'.  I am familiar with many quotes from the Bible, and there are plenty in there about anxiety; having confidence, having faith, is said many times.

So, just thought I'd throw that out there....keep calm, and be confident!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could Confidence Be The Key To Overcome Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
I get what you're saying and I think it makes some sense. My issue is similar....confidence, but also guilt. I feel so much guilt for so many things, that I think a key to getting the anxiety under control is sorting out how to work through this irrational guilt. My coping skills have improved in many ways, I feel more relaxed in the evening with my kids at home.  But I can't get that one piece sorted out yet, and I think until I do I'm not really going to get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
Sure agree that lack of confidence can be a big factor to kick start some underlying factors of anxiety, panic, depression, ocd, etc. There may be organic origins, but also experiential, environmental, psych factors affecting it.

With weak or no confidence miseries such as fear, worries, uncertainties, etc. or guilt, as AM suggests, can find fertile territory to grow and start to take over. "Be Confident" is definitely one of my mantras in meditation. Guilt has always been huge with me, always a struggle.
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
I believe negative feelings or emotions are most definitely a breeding ground for issues like anxiety.....lack of confidence, guilt are two.  Melody, don't know what your guilt is from but I'm sure there are many positive things about yourself you can replace the thoughts of guilt with.....building confidence by focusing on the positive seems as though it can eliminate a lot of anxiety.

I'm going to try it myself :)
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
And by confidence I mean, having a knowing that everything will be ok, whatever it is that we are fearing or are expecting to go wrong---to let that go, replace it with a certain confidence that everything is fine.  Sort of along the lines of CBT, but having it (confidence) as more of an attitude than self-talk.   Fake it till you make it , kind of.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MamaLouie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
Thank you CarrieAnn for these posting, Im sure that if I can find ways to build my confidence I could eliminate a lot of anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: