Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: REALLY bad panic attack right now  (Read 227 times)

Offline shellofabody

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
REALLY bad panic attack right now
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »
Okay, so I just woke up and immediately began a serious panic attack. I was really sick yesterday with some sort of cold/flu. I woke up today feeling kinda weird first of all, and while I was trying to remember the date and such I suddenly realized my left arm felt cold. When I try to move it, It feels foreign and not quite accurate. It's really scaring me, I feel like I'm gonna lose control of my arm or something! Now I'm panicking hard about this, MS, ALS etc.. Please help and thanks so much!!!

EDIT. The feeling still hasn't passed. I can't even look at the arm without panicking.. It's like it's not mine. It feels clumsy too, not as coordinated as my right. I dont know what to do.. I also noticed a red bump on my arm a few days ago, and it's gone. If that means anything..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: REALLY bad panic attack right now
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
I feel for you. Panic attacks. Ugh. It will pass, and while I'm no doctor, your arm is probably fine. When I had my daily panic attacks a few years ago I was hyper aware of my body, and especially my left arm. I focused so intently on it that I think I often altered my perception of it.

Remember the cognitive distortion: magnification. Our anxiety filters all our thoughts and senses, finds the most anxiety producing observations, and blows them way out of proportion. That's it's sole job, to produce anxiety. It thinks it's helping! But it's a glitch in our brains, not reality.

In all likelihood you simply slept on your arm funny.

Hang in there. The panic won't last forever.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Ps.

Here's a good list of anxiety symptoms posted elsewhere on this forum, including an anxiety based explanation of your arm sensation.
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,73134.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline shellofabody

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies! You're probably right, and it's just the anxiety. But I can't shake the feeling no matter how hard I try. When I don't think about it it feels pretty regular, but I'm always reminded of it again. I don't know if it's because the symptoms are causing the thinking or the thinking is causing the symptoms.  I'm convinced that I might have a brain problem or something and it'll spread, or I'll wake up and my arm will be immobilized...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »
I understand. It's so hard to shake those feelings. Try and remember that emotional reasoning is a cognitive error. Our anxiety makes us feel things, suspect things, fear things. And then, just to be a jerk, the anxiety makes us believe that because we feel something, it must be true. I can't know about your complete medical diagnosis, but the one thing I can say for sure that's "wrong" with you, with me, with everyone else here, is that we all have anxiety disorders that make us think things that aren't reality. Hang in there, and remember that you are suffering from anxiety. Like you said, when you aren't thinking about it, it feels pretty regular. Your arm didn't change, your thinking did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
Please know you're arm is fine, you should have seen me when I started having my panic attacks initially, I was in the ER for my arm going numb all the time. Until months and months it took for my to train my brain that yeah I have anxiety problems. DONT WORRY about you're arm, deal with you're panic attack remember everything else is an effect from you're panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: ALS anxiety panic arm numb Brain help dying