Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attacks at night. Scared. Please help!  (Read 364 times)

Offline Anastasia

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attacks at night. Scared. Please help!
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recently started having panic attacks at night. I wake up several times during the night to what feels like a panic attack that I've had before. Although not as intense, they are becoming more frequent. Last night was really bad. I woke up about 3 times during the night to my heart racing and pounding. I could not breathe. I started doing a breathing exercise I read about, taking a deep breath while counting to five and then slowly breathing out. It was helping a little but I am still extremely scared. I could not calm down all day. Was 3 hours late to work and could barely function all day. I felt like I was on auto pilot all day. Completely out of it today. Can someone please tell me if it is even possible to have anxiety and panic attacks in your sleep? And why is this happening to me? What could have caused this? What is the difference between anxiety and panic attacks at night? Is my anxiety disorder worsening? What can I do to prevent panic attacks at night? I would greatly appreciate all of your input. Thank you so much in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attacks at night. Scared. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this . . .I've had something similar and it is scary without a doubt . . . now, I am not a med professional so this is just something that I learned about me which may or may not help . . .

Whenever I go to bed worried, I usually have these panic attacks at night . . .it is as if my brain does not go into sleep mode so it has free landscape to go about and trigger anxiety which is then with me when I wake up . . . .so, for me, there is always a trigger of some type that I need to deal with before I can go on . . . if I don't resolve the issue then what happens is I become overtired which increases the anxiety, etc.  You get the picture . . . .

So, I would say that you need to check things out with a doc (in a couple of my cases, a thyroid issue was actually at fault that triggered the anxiety) and speak with a counselor to figure out what might be at the root of things . . . . but, yes, indeed, it is possible to have anxiety and panic attacks in your sleep . . . as to the why, well, that is something you need to figure out . . . .has anything been bothering you at home or work? doesn't have to be big to be a trigger? are you taking meds that might be have a counterproductive effect which can happen for some meds and some people? The best thing I can tell you to do is to get checked out and start exploring why this may be happening now . . . but it is not unusual but it is pretty damn ugly when it happens . . .please let us know how you are doing and I am sure others will have more insight than I do . . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Hi Anastasia...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone.  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators on the site.

It is not uncommon at all to be awaken by a panic attack.  The brain never really turns off completely, even during sleep.  And although some triggers might spawn an anxiety attack, often times they occur for no apparent reason.

There appears to be a genetic factor involved, predisposing some individuals to anxiety and depressive disorders.  They do indeed run in families.

An actual panic attack is a short lived episode of the fight or flight response, that is not initiated by any real threat.  This differs from generalized anxiety which can last for hours, days, or even longer.

There is treatment available for anxiety and depressive disorders.  These include medication, such as anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication, therapy, such as the use of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), and lifestyle changes.  Lifestyle changes can include exercise, changes in diet, and relaxation techniques such as meditation.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, Anastasia.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
Hi. 

I have had this happen to me as well.  Being woken up like that REALLY sucks and it's about the scariest thing I have ever experienced.  I was SURE I was moments away from the end of my life.  I am very glad that it's only happened on or two times in my life.  To me its the worst type of Panic Attack of them all.  My heart NEVER pounded so hard.

The horrible panic only lasted about 5 to 10 minutes, and then I was able to go back to sleep. 

Don't know why they happen, but wanted to at least share that I know EXACTLY what this feels like. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anastasia

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Hey KC,
You are so right about the triggers of the panic attacks.  After reading your response I realized that before going to sleep on those nights of the panic attacks I was feeling extremely anxious and I now recognize the pattern. I guess the best thing to do would be to try to calm down before falling asleep. Although, Im not too sure how to do that right now. But knowing the triggers will help me to avoid them for the time being until I learn to control anxiety. Is that even possible? I hope so. I am currently looking for a doctor to go to.
Thank you so much for your help,
Anastasia
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anastasia

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for your response. I started looking for a doctor in my area today. I should have done this a long time ago but just couldnt bring my self up to do it. I dont know why but just the thought of going to the doctor  to talk about my anxieties would cause me anxiety. I have been reading a lot about Generalized Anxiety and Panic Attacks. I've had both. Anxiety that last for weeks. And one major panic attack and some less scary ones. Is it possible to suffer from both disorders? For the past 4 weeks I am suffering from real bad anxiety, every day, non stop and I've had about 5 panic attacks that didnt last very long. This makes me think I have both disorders or is it the triggers that cause anxiety that cause the panic attacks? ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anastasia

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
Hi Rich!
Thank you for sharing. Just knowing that someone else understand exactly what I'm going through makes it feel less scary. One thing I learned is that controlling your breathing really helps. Concentrating on breathing slow and deep helps lessen the panic attack. I wish I had more techniques to share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:27:36 AM »
I can tell you for sure that you can have BOTH General Anxiety (with which I have been suffering greatly from as of late) AND Panic Attacks (which, since I have had so many before, I know what they are are can usually "talk" myself out of them once they start)

It's a vicious pattern to be in for sure.

Hope you feel better soon !!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
There's some great deep breathing apps for smartphones to calm you before you fall asleep.  If your tired during the day you may want to talk to your doctor about sleep apnea.  I had night panic attacks alot before I was diagnosed.  I've been on cpap for about 2 months and have cut my episodes 90%. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Monica402

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
Hello, Welcome to the forum. My name is Monica and i too suffer from this expecially at 3 or 4 am. I wake up and instantly my heart is raceing and im extremely anxious for no reason it seems like. I have GAD/panic and Anxiety. When this happens to me i always ask myself why am i so anxious? Sometimes its caused by a bad dream or if i am worrieing to much about something before i go to sleep. Try to figure out your triggers. I am also in CBT therapy which is begining to help although a long process. I have recently started escitlopram 10mg to try an stop my panic episodes. So i agree speaking to your doctor an maybe running a few tests is also a good idea. Deep breatheing is GREAT!! Also learning to meditate can be helpful. And knowing your not alone as we have all experienced this at one time or another some of us more than others. You can try listening to relaxing music, Maybe go for a walk, Dont eat before bed, No Caffiene before bed, ect. Good Luck. An keep us updated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline peter.1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
always remember ur not alone, we all suffer from some soft or form
Bookmark and Share