Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Waiting for mole biopsy results makes me crazy  (Read 766 times)

Offline scared_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Waiting for mole biopsy results makes me crazy
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »
I have read a lot of mole threads on here and hate to bore with another one, but it helps me to write this down.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that a small mole on my back was painful and inflamed. I think it became inflamed after I scratched it because it was next to a bug bite, but I am not sure. I was concerned so I went and saw a dermatologist the following Monday and she took a shave biopsy of that mole and another small mole on my back that she said looked dark. I asked if I should be freaked out and she told me not too lose sleep. She was not too concerned by the look of them. If she was overly concerned, she would have fully removed the moles instead of shaving them.

Of course I am really anxious and I have lost sleep waiting for the results, but my fear improved the longer I waited. I think I thought that bad news would travel fast.  I was told I would hear the results in 7 days or else I should call. I did not hear anything and called on Wednesday (today)--after 9 days.  I spoke with the doctor's assistant and was told the mole was sent to another lab for further testing. This completely freaked me out. I asked what that means and the doctor's assistant said it means it can still be benign, but needed further testing. I think I had a panic attack when I heard this. I figured it meant she knew it was bad and was finding out how bad. I googled about mole biopsy pathology and found nothing good--which I should have know would happen.  I weighed myself and realized that I have lost 3 to 4 pounds in the past year even though I have not been actively dieting. I went crazy thinking I have an advanced stage of cancer which is causing weight loss. I don't even know where my lymph nodes are, but I imagine them inflamed and painful.

I have tried to calm myself all afternoon and evening by telling myself to listen to the doctor's words and the doctor's assistants words which have told me not to be too worried. Still, it is so hard. Sometimes, I think I can deal with this and other times I feel panic taking over. I have had so much health anxiety since my son was born and I do not know how to manage it. I am so afraid of leaving him. Maybe I need to find a therapist when this scare ends--if it ends. I hate myself for panicking. I have tried to maintain my composure in front of my son and tried to get my work done, but it is so hard.

They said to call back on Friday if I have not heard anything. Ugh.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waiting for mole biopsy results makes me crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
Curbing our anxiety is the most difficult thing in the world for us HA people, believe me I know. But, it can be done. Just try to keep yourself busy doing things and realize that you are more than likely fine. Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »
Thanks greend. It helps to be able to talk about it here and to see that others have similar experiences.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
Still waiting to hear from the second pathology lab. Still freaking out. The dermatologist is not communicative which makes the fear worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
Hang I there, you will be fine. Let us know what happens, but I am sure it will all be good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Both times I have gotten biopsies it took about three weeks. The first biopsy was seen by five different pathologists. It was benign. They just wanted to make sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
Thank you for sharing that Bricks. You have given me some hope.

And thank you greend for the encouragement. I have gone to a dark place the past day and a half, but you have helped me back from the ledge twice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:41 PM »
A general rule of thumb for these things is the longer you wait, the better the news probably is.  With bad results, they contact you immediately. 

3 or 4 pounds is not the weight loss you get with advanced cancer, just FYI.  If you lose 10% of your body weight in a month without dieting, then you should see a doctor and make sure nothing's up. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »
Scared_dad, I can relate to your concern for sure. I am kind of in the same situation, except my wait is 6 weeks. I had  a load of blood work done, some of it will take 6 weeks for the results to come in. This is because of neurological symptoms I have been having. When I think about it, which is all the time I almost lose my mind. I have googled as well-not a good thing to do.

Let us know how it goes with your results. You will be OK.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:45 AM »
6 weeks is a terrible wait. Hang in there.

After all the encouraging words, I was finally able to relax enough to eat a full meal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
In my case, i had a colon polyp. The pathologists couldnt decide between inflammatory, precancerous, or totally benign.all things benign just differernt kinds of benign. My second biopsy was a little different and needed staining.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Mine needed a staining test. I called this morning like they told me to and left a voicemail. No one has called back. Part of me thinks it means they are not calling because the news is bad and they have to wait for the doctor to call. The other part of me thinks that if they had bad news, they would have called me without waiting for my call.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
Phew!!!

I got the call and it is not melanoma! It is severe atypia. I have to have it removed and be monitored every 3 months.

Thank you Brick5711, greend, and mollyfin for getting me through these past few days.

I have to decide whether to go to a plastic surgeon or have the dermatologist remove it. Then, that will go to pathology and I will wait on that.

This experience has made me realize that I have to try to work on my anxiety. I was 100% convinced I had advanced melanoma. I do not want to put myself through this every 3 months.

(If anyone happens to read this thread who is going through the same thing, please keep in mind that if something goes to a second pathologist and needs a stain test, it does not definitely mean something bad.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
Glad to hear. I hope the rest of the pathology looks great too. My second biopsy came back as a tumor and i am hopefully having it removed next thursday and sent off for pathology.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
 I hope they can remove it soon. I am glad you seem to be handling things much better than I was.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: mole biopsy