Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: high blood pressure at appt. anxiety?  (Read 135 times)

Offline soccerash21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
high blood pressure at appt. anxiety?
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
Hi everyone-

I just went to my gyno for my yearly exam and when they checked my blood pressure, they said it was high. he waited until after the exam and checked it again , and said that it went down a bit, but not much. He asked me if I have ever had my cholesterol levels or blood checked, at which point i said no. I have bad anxiety when I go to a doctors office, have been that way forever. But now I am freaked that everytime I have gone and have high blood pressure and just write it off as anxiety, that it's really something else. I mean do I need to go have levels checked or something? I'm freaking :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: high blood pressure at appt. anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
I experience white-coat hypertension during routine visits.  All of my doctors know about it.  I generally take in a list of my latest BP readings from home so they can note it in my chart.  If they do want to check your cholesterol levels, that's simple enough with a quick blood draw.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
My BP goes up whenever I go to the Dr. I have a BP cuff at home that I check, I usually bring it with me (it saves my history) to show that my BP is normal at home.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
My doc takes BP 4 times at every visit for all his patients - 1st nurse does it when she brings you in the room, then doc does it when he comes it, he does it half way thru the visit then its the last thing he does before he leaves the room.

He said so many people have white coat hypertension that the 1st number isn't useful but people tend to calm down by the end of the visit and the later numbers are the useful ones - the ones in between show the numbers going down so they know its white coat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: