Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Seeking much needed guidance!  (Read 233 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zayres

  • Just Joined!
  • Posts: 1
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Seeking much needed guidance!
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Hello all,

I am new here, and it's good to be here.

What brought me here is an issue I have found increasingly difficult to manage over the last 7 years or so. I am currently 26, and I seem to have a plethora of anxiety/fear issues that cripple my life in so many ways that it's become clear I do not live life like a "normal" person should. Generally, I avoid a lot of things (going out especially) because I have a billion reasons in my head immediately as to what could go wrong. I also have slight social anxiety but that's actually the one thing I have managed over the years and it's not as much an issue now. The biggest problem I have is intense fear of work. And I have no idea how it came about, why it happens, or what to do about it. I have exhausted all avenues of taking time off from work for this (sick time, vacation time). The anxiety is most prevalent in the morning, but lasts throughout the day. I have a really great job where I am technical support through chat from home, get great pay and benefits, and lots of perks. But I fear I am now on the brink of losing it due to my anxiety. I cannot take further time off from work, but the need for it is great.

I have no idea how to approach my manager and HR about this, as I generally never speak about it to anyone not even family. I went to a clinic last year and tried to explain my issue to a doctor there, but he made me feel as if I didn't have anything wrong with me, and then I overheard him talking about me with a nurse when I was leaving and he basically was making a joke. Since then I haven't tried to seek medical help. I know I need to take a step toward that though at this point because I really feel that I need to take some time off from work and get some therapy going but I'm confused as to which type of doctor I should be visiting for this. I am also unsure if I could even get protected time off from work for this that would not result in being fired.

What I'm basically asking is has anyone here had this problem? If so, what kind of doctor/specialist did you visit for this, and were you ever able to get time off from work to recover? Is anxiety of this nature a recognized illness under work laws? If it helps, I live in USA.

Thank you for any assistance in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

  • Live long, and prosper...
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1227
  • Country: us
  • Rec's: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Mood: Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seeking much needed guidance!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
Hi Zayres, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Zayres, I want to start out by saying that I am sorry for the experience that you had with that doctor.  Anxiety and depressive disorders are real illnesses, they can be chronic conditions, and have an actual physical origin.

I have seen a psychiatrist for the last four years.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors who are specialists in the field of mental health.  They can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication, and tailor a treatment plan just for your needs.

I also see a psychologist for my therapy.  I suffer with panic disorder with panic attacks, and the therapist I see specializes in anxiety disorders.  She is currently teaching me cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)

Between the anti-depressant I was placed on, and the therapy I am receiving, I would say that I am 90% better than I was some six months ago, and there are time that I feel completely normal again.

If you have any questions, ask away...

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone...  The very best to you, Zayres!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline FallenLeaf

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Mood: Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seeking much needed guidance!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
Hello Zayres! I'm new here too... And I've been through a similar situation with a doctor. Although my situation wasn't for anxiety it was for swelling in my throat. I ended up having a panic attack at the clinic over it, I left work to go get checked and unfortunately the doctor made fun of me to a nurse and my boss wrote my up for leaving. It turned out I need surgery and to have my tonsils removed. I've found that general practitioners don't really understand depression and anxiety. The only people that ever were able to help me medically were my psychologist and my psychiatrist. They are qualified to diagnose and the psychiatrist can give medications. Check and see if you have mental health insurance. Please don't be turned off by that one experience. There are good medical professionals out there that are willing to help you. Sometimes it takes a couple tries before you find a doctor and a therapist that's the right fit, but it's really worth it when you do.
Bookmark and Share
"I'm not close. I'm not safe. I don't know. Don't know. Am I better off in chains. The one is not aware. So stay away from me. I'm just too young to care." - Tired by Stonesour.

Offline Xjunkie4jesus

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 77
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seeking much needed guidance!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »
As Fallenleaf says: A PsychOLOGIST does assessment and therapy and a PsychIATRIST prescribes meds. Does your company have an EAP (Employee Assistance Program)?? When people need rehab or treatment for Substance Abuse, quite often companies offer help thru their EAP. Check with Human Resources to see if your company has an EAP.
Bookmark and Share