Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How many people know about your anxiety?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline radiance_94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How many people know about your anxiety?
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
How many people have you told about your anxiety? For years i kept mine to myself, once in a while opening up to my sisters if i started feeling unbearably bad. But recently I have opened up to more people. I opened up to two of my close friends, my therapist, and my siblings are more aware of it. I haven't really opened up to my parents. My dad doesn't understand this kind of stuff, and while my mom somewhat does (because worries alot herself) it's still a very taboo topic to talk about with her and she would only worry about me more. She knows I "feel bad" sometimes though.

Sometimes I feel as though others should know, especially people I work with or some of my other friends. But I don't want to open up to them in fear that not everyone will understand. I wish more people would understand what I am going through. But I also fear that if alot of people know they would just keep bringing it up and might judge me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many people know about your anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
I'm pretty open about my anxiety and my meds (Zoloft.). At first I was sort of embarrassed but the more I opened up the more I found out that a lot of people I know have similar issues and are on meds too.  My folks and hubby were actually thrilled to have an explanation for my behavior and my client now understand thY if I am acting funny it's not them.  If anything opening up has given me a much bigger support network.  It was hard at first but now it's no big deal...like saying you get headaches.  Trying to keep it a secret just made things worse for me and being that I am an outgoing person the best therapy I have found is just telling it to the world.  I have anxiety...I accept it...now let's move on and enjoy life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
I've told most of my friends, my brother, and my father. I try to tell my mother and the rest of my friends but they always end up saying stuff like "What are you so anxious about?" or "Well just quit worrying so much!" Which is obviously no help at all and makes me a little angry. So I have to be careful who I share it with.
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline Ashswonderlust

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »
I haven't really told anyone other then my closest friend about my anxiety/panick attacks, I'm always worried thay i will have to explain what its like to have an anxiety attacks or panick attack. Also i feel like if i were to open up to more people about it they would treat me different.
Bookmark and Share
Imperfection is beauty

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
Yeah, I sometimes am treated differently. My friends constantly ask if I'm okay and check on my daily, which they never did before. I know they mean well, and it really makes me feel loved, which is great. But on the other hand, I feel like I'm being treated as if something is wrong with me and that makes my anxiety worse. It makes me feel as if I need to be anxious because everyone else can see things are wrong with me, so things must be wrong with me!
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline dragon

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Most people that are closed to me know but that is not really that many people. I think my anxiety keeps me from knowing and doing more with more people.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
My doctors (obviously), parents, sister, husband, a couple close friends and actually most of my coworkers. The latter because my family doctor works at the same office I do, so plain and simple people are going to know, but I told people when I was going through a bad episode just so they knew why I was acting "off". People have been very supporting. However I will be leaving my current job shortly, so my new coworkers won't know initially, eventually maybe they will maybe not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WhatsUp204

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Nobody really
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
my girlfriend, my best friend, my doctor , and my therapist. even though i told my girlfriend and my best friend, i dont talk about it at all with them.  i dont want to tell anyone else because it feels like to me that a lot of people have this wrong idea that people with anxiety are weak. also, like others have said, i dont want them to treat me differently.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GADawg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
The only people that know about my anxiety are my parents and grandma. I've always put on a very good front socially and never let my anxiety show in public for fear of social scorn.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »
Few... But I am starting to open up more about it. Of course, very few actually understand it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VBFear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Two know really well (my husband and an old college friend who also has anxiety), and my parents and sisters know of it, but don't really understand so I can't explain the extent.  I think it's a lot easier to talk about to other people who have it, or at least understand it.  I normally feel anxiety even making forum posts like these, but knowing that everyone else here understands is a huge weight off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
I have only told people about my HA when absolutely necessary, such as my internal medicine
physician, my wife, daughter, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »
Everyone knows I have always felt that being up front and honest would make people more aware of why I am not always around or being my old self because I did try to fake it and hide it but then people just thought I was being rude or didn't like them or even better then them so I told about what I was dealing with which is a lot and not just mental but also physical well guess what didn't matter because most didn't care and still expected the same out of me or they actually talked bad about me or acted like I would be over it in one day.
Honesty is the best way to go but doesn't mean it changes anything as I have learned most are all about themselves and honestly could care less.

People also do a lot of comparing they will say I have that!! I Then say tell me what you go through and how you function well No they don't have what I have they may have a mild form but they think each person has the exact same issues so not true .

For me either way doesn't matter . Good Luck and go with your gut feeling .
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline perpetualrebound

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Unfortunately I have never been very good at hiding my anxiety problems. I honeslty dont know how I could hide a panic attack. Thankfully I come from a long line of worriers who understand me well. Sadly I am pretty far away from most of them though.
Bookmark and Share