Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Migraines - What do you guys use to help? Discuss.  (Read 227 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Migraines - What do you guys use to help? Discuss.
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Hey guys..

I've had migraine's with auras for well over 10 years. I've tried and tried to find a trigger and i really can't.

Foods, no.
Exercise, no. (but maybe)
Alcohol, no, i barely drink.

I honestly have never found a specific trigger. Change in sleep pattern can often cause them though. But again, not always.

Anyone got any tips/advice on how to prevent them? Im going through a flurry at the moment 2-4 a month. (I can go a few months with little to none though)

I've tried..

Magnesium
Vitamin B2
Vitamin D

I'm not really in to going to the docs for prescription meds. They don't effect my quality of life enough to really warrant it. I've never been diagnosed, rather, i've just got on with it because i knew exactly what they were since the beginning. (Family history) So i don't want to go to the docs, have a bunch of tests to tell me something i already know, you understand?

These don't worry me anymore. I'm just looking to start a discussion about Migraines really. How they affect you and what's worked for you/what hasn't.

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Migraines - What do you guys use to help? Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
I've had them for almost 30 years, I really don't know the triggers either.  I started keeping a log, but that only served to tell me how often I was having them.  Sometimes I would get a couple per week, other times go 6 months without one.  I will tell you this, however.  In January 2013 I radically changed my diet.  No sugar, no gluten, no dairy.  (After 5 months I added back fruit.) In the time period from Dec 2012 to now I've had one migraine, occurring in May 2013.  I'm not sure what to think, other than once I went off the deep end with my diet, things changed.  Also, my seasonal allergies, which usually pushed me to get prescription meds each spring and summer, almost completely disappeared.  The doctor that suggested these diet changes said it's probably due to an underlying allergy to 'something,' and in my case most likely dairy.  Once I quit the dairy, my body just seemed to settle down.

Keep in mind that I've had breaks in my migraine occurrences before, but this time I'm somewhat hopeful I've found a real key to the puzzle.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
I use Paracetamol and NSAIDs. usually at the same time. with caffiene to make them work faster. Then I try not to consider slamming my head into the wall more than once every five minutes and even tually i get exhausted and fall asleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »
I've had them for almost 30 years, I really don't know the triggers either.  I started keeping a log, but that only served to tell me how often I was having them.  Sometimes I would get a couple per week, other times go 6 months without one.  I will tell you this, however.  In January 2013 I radically changed my diet.  No sugar, no gluten, no dairy.  (After 5 months I added back fruit.) In the time period from Dec 2012 to now I've had one migraine, occurring in May 2013.  I'm not sure what to think, other than once I went off the deep end with my diet, things changed.  Also, my seasonal allergies, which usually pushed me to get prescription meds each spring and summer, almost completely disappeared.  The doctor that suggested these diet changes said it's probably due to an underlying allergy to 'something,' and in my case most likely dairy.  Once I quit the dairy, my body just seemed to settle down.

Keep in mind that I've had breaks in my migraine occurrences before, but this time I'm somewhat hopeful I've found a real key to the puzzle.

Ah, that's really interesting! I've read that diet is often a biggie. But my diet has remained constant and my migraines have bee sporadic. They happen in clusters of 2-4. Then some months i get just the one or none. But my diet/sleep is the same. I've kept a log for the passed year and up to the present day. It's interesting to see the pattern, but have nothing that stands out as a cause.

PS... i wish i could go just 6 months like you have previously! I think the longet i've gone is 2/3 in the past 11ish years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
I've suffered with headaches/migraines for as long as I can remember. I've never taken the time to find my trigger. Mine are sometimes hormone related - you don't have to worry about that! My OB gave me Fioricet, I wouldn't say it's any better than any OTC meds. My best bet is 3 advils, caffeine and laying in a quiet dark room until the worse passes.

I know you said you're not into Rx meds, but recently I went on a low dose of Metoprolol for high BP. An off label use of Metoprolol is for headaches/migraines (I still had headaches back when my BP was normal, so I know they weren't from my BP). My headache frequency has went down 90%! Something to think about if you ever want to go the Rx route.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »
Thanks Amy!

It's something i've often considered. Try and get someone to help prevent them and lower the frequency. Mainly because of the stroke risk (i know it's minimal - but every little helps)

It bothers me a bit when i get like, 4 in a month... and it's at these times that i wonder about preventative methods.

Again, the only thing that's stopping me is the tests i'd have to go through to tell me something i already know, that i have migraines with aura. JUST to get the meds.

Blergh! Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
For the record, I tried the prescription meds.  They didn't seem to work.  I still got migraines at the same interval.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
Been having migraines with aura since I was 11.  As I got older, I realized mine seem to be brought on by stress.  The bad part: I have anxiety and I am often stressed.  Sometimes I wouldn't feel stressed, and would get a migraine, but I realized I was stressed.  I tried every med on the market without much success, so I just started using OTC meds.  No matter what, my migraines last 4 hours regardless of what I take.  I'm
down to maybe 3 per year, but I can't tell you how.  And now my stress seems to manifest itself in other physical symptoms.  I kinda want the migraines back (insane I know)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
Been having migraines with aura since I was 11.  As I got older, I realized mine seem to be brought on by stress.  The bad part: I have anxiety and I am often stressed.  Sometimes I wouldn't feel stressed, and would get a migraine, but I realized I was stressed.  I tried every med on the market without much success, so I just started using OTC meds.  No matter what, my migraines last 4 hours regardless of what I take.  I'm
down to maybe 3 per year, but I can't tell you how.  And now my stress seems to manifest itself in other physical symptoms.  I kinda want the migraines back (insane I know)

I know how you feel. I've had silent migraines come on DIRECTLY from stress. Like i would slam a door turn around and BAM got one. I do believe anxiety and migraine are linked. Who knows which causes which....

How long have you had your auras? just wondering. I'm interested to see how long people have had them and are still fine. Stroke stuff scares me a tad, haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »
@Dayvid- Yes, stress is the clincher for me.  I've had my migraines w aura for 18 years and I'm still ticking. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
I am 45 years old and have been having migraines with an aura since I was in high school.  As I've gotten older, I've noticed that they are not as severe as when I was a teenager.  I have been prescribed an oral medication which didn't really help along with a nasal spray which didn't help much either.

The only thing that helps me and stops the migraine in its tracks is Excedrin Migraine.  I never go anywhere without it.  The minute an aura starts, I take just one (the dosage is two but I find one works) and once the aura stops, the headache never develops.  The only time the Excedrin doesn't help is if it's a hormonal headache.  That will last a couple of days and the Excedrin will only lessen the pain but not stop it.

If you haven't tried Excedrin Migraine, you should.  Something about the caffeine, aspirin, acetaminophen combination that works wonders.  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: migraine aura