Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this palinopsia or normal?  (Read 400 times)

Offline itisdel

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this palinopsia or normal?
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
So I have monocular double vision (double vision with one eye), which I've read most often results due to astigmatism (and hey, I have astigmatism.) The new glasses I got helped a bit with that, but the problem is still there. So another possible (worst case scenario) cause of monocular double vision was like a lesion in the brain or something, which would also cause palinopsia. Of course I'd focus on that one, instead of something more rational (especially for a 21 year old) such as: "Maybe I need a different prescription for my glasses, considering that the last time they measured was over 4 months ago and they said that my eyes were too dry to get an accurate reading, but they never actually re-measured the astigmatism afterward".

So uh, since then I've been really worried about my after images. If I look at my desktop (even for a couple seconds) and then look away, I'd see the vague shapes of the icons for a second or two. If I stare at something that's not a light source for 5ish seconds and then look away, I'd see a brief negative after image for several. I know that palinopsia is supposed to have longer lasting after images, but am I forming after images too quickly? A lot of the after image experiments I found online say something like, "Stare at this for 60 seconds and then look away!" But I can form the image after like... 5 to 10 seconds. How long is "significantly longer" anyways? Several more seconds? Minutes? Hours? I have no idea. I don't have trails as far as I can tell, or at least not like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeysC17PyI

I have no idea if that's what the "trailing" is like for palinopsia, but that's the only thing I could really find that demonstrates what "trailing" could be. Err, actually I just realized that I do have some trailing when my eyes pass a light (light bulb, car headlights, my phone in a dark room, etc). But it's only light sources, nothing else gets trailed, so I don't think that counts.

So my question is this: For those of you who do know that you suffer from palinopsia, do you think my description of the after images would be within normal ranges or is it in the abnormal range?

Bookmark and Share

Offline itisdel

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this palinopsia or normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:23:44 AM »
I'm not sure if I can edit my post. There used to be a "modify" button, but it's gone now.

Anyways I think I should say that I started noticing the afterimages a little after (a day or two) I looked up palinopsia, which I guess is a pretty big hint that it's probably nothing and I'm just being overvigilant in monitoring my symptoms. But still, if anyone could give me their input, I'd appreciate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this palinopsia or normal?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
I have both palinopsia and after-images, but they're not the same thing. 

I honestly don't know what "normal" is for these things, but I don't think you have palinopsia. 

I am extremely nearsighted and figure that has something to do with all the visual oddness, but no real clue.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: palinopsia