Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Super anxious... need some help  (Read 179 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Super anxious... need some help
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:35:38 PM »
Well, I am getting over this stomach virus that I woke up with in the middle of the night on Sunday. I never get stomach viruses, so I'm shocked and of course even more anxious because that is my worst fear, and it just came true. I'm trying to figure out where I caught it from, and I'm wondering it was from work last Tuesday. A coworker (who I wasn't even around that day) went home sick with a stomach virus that night. I thought I was in the clear and have not been to work since, but got sick 4 days after being at work.

I am scheduled to go back to work tomorrow and I am very anxious because I don't want to catch another stomach virus. That's why I hope the virus I had was from work, so when I go back I am in the clear. What are the odds of me getting sick AGAIN if it is a different virus that I had? Other people have gotten sick there since last week too, including my supervisor. Is there any way I can avoid catching another stomach virus? I wash my hands like CRAZY and for a long time, so I am shocked I got sick in the first place.

I'm just very anxious about this whole thing. It's to the point where I just want to quit my job. I already called out sick last week to avoid going back, and of course this week I actually did get sick. Please give me some advice!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• »ɗℴ℘∈»
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Super anxious... need some help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
Usually when you have a same virus like such that's been floating around (It's hitting pretty bad here) it's really not likely you're going to catch the same bug twice. that's the glory of your body becoming immune to the one you already have. it's no longer vulnerable to the one still floating around by other people.

Even then that person went home with the virus, doesn't mean his or her germs are still nesting around the workplace. you would be surprised at how long microorganisms live for and what they cling to. Thinking you're in the clear... that whole time you could have just as well already intercepted the virus. We don't usually show the symptoms of it right away, and we could be "sick" before we know it.

That's why you see everyone get sick. At times we think we have already outran the cold, you'd be surprised. airborne is hard to dodge when you're even breathing the same air.

I highly suggest you just take the next day off. My girlfriend has the same thing and she's been showing coldlike symptoms for 2 weeks now. She works both at the hospital and a student as a dental hygenist. They will understand.

So more likely... you're not going to come down with another stomach virus twice in a row, as people do not carry their own unique virus to give out and distribute. at least I don't think.

As for washing your hands like crazy somethings can't be avoided, and it's nothing to be afraid of. the chances of it developing into anything are not realistic.

Good to see you again.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
I'm worrying that I had a different strain and when I go back to work I will catch the strain that the people had at work. :( I just hope the odds of that happening are low. I was hoping I was immune to stomach viruses since I never get them, but obviously that is not the case... I'm not sure that immunity even exists?

I wish I could take the day off again but that would be my 5th day. I'm a food server at an assisted living facility, so I personally don't think I should be going back to work, but I will get in trouble if I call out again. (Not that I care, because I want to quit anyway)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• »ɗℴ℘∈»
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
I don't see you carrying some different strain than everyone else.

You may have a rather strong immune system that repels a lot of bad bugs, but it doesn't mean you're neccessarily bulletproof. Now that you've recovered from it you're more immune than you were before. That bug could easily be effecting your entire city. It only takes one to effect, and it just passes on and on.

I think you should definitely call it. Tell them assertively that you are still ill and contagious, and you don't see it at all appropriate to be in an assisted living facility where there are plenty of people who are 10x to 100x more vulnerable than you are. Old people are extremely vulnerable to illnes. that's something that needs to be taken very seriously.

They will understand. the bug is going around. Even from Idaho. When you call them just put your foot down. they're not going to fire you for keeping your patients in mind. That's a big flaw on their part if they forced one to work who is potentially infected. As I said before old people don't have the same kind of immunity strength as we do. They don't have the strength period to try and fight off the cold or flu when they can hardly clear their throats. Keep that in mind.

Go with your gut feeling on that one. It's completely your discretion, I don't think you should feel inclined to work because of how a supervisors assesses the situation.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
Stomach viruses rip through places like wild fire.  That's why cruise ships are so concerned about the noro virus. 

Do you think it's rational that your anxiety is making you think about quitting your job?
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
I know it's not rational but I don't even care. I'm just so terrified to go to work tomorrow knowing I will most likely catch another stomach virus.
Bookmark and Share

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
You're not going to catch another stomach virus.  I am the queen of stomach viruses…if they're going around I get them.  I've never gotten them back to back.

Only you can decide when it's right to treat your anxiety but I would strongly suggest that time has come and gone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: