Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Sick and scared  (Read 242 times)

Offline diaphanous

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sick and scared
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
So I have been sick twice in a month with what I thought was a virus, but what my doc and I now believe is a bad reaction to a different acid reflux medicine I tried.  It makes sense logically-- I started taking it, got sick, stopped taking it, felt better, started taking it again, got sick again.

I am sick for the second time with debilitation nausea and stomach pain and even though it makes sense that I am recovering from whatever it did to my gut, I am terrified that I am not going to get better.  I have been sick since Thursday, but did not stop taking the new med until Sunday. 

To make the horrible nausea worse, I end up having a panic attack because I'm scared I'll feel like this forever and it makes all of my symptoms worse.  How do you escape your own body?

I am so desperate, that I've taken to writing down affirmations:
I am healing every minute.
I am better than yesterday.
I got better last time and I will get better this time.
I AM getting better

It is really terrible the toll that this has taken on me. 

Has anyone else had panic attacks when you were sick?  How did you cope?  I sometimes can't tell what's caused from my stomach distress and what is caused from panic.  It's exhausting!

Thanks for reading.  It helps to get it out even if there is really nothing you can do except wait.  I've never been a very patient person!

Tiffany
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sick and scared
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:37 AM »
We have a lot of people who would curl up like little kids if they were ever sick. But I agree that it probably was the medicine you took. That can happen. Some work fine. Others can go against you. But you are far from alone on this one. Many people would have felt the exact same way. Myself included. I am emetephobic. Fear of throwing up. So I would have been worse than a little kid. Distraction can work at times. Finding something else to focus on. Take your mind off of yourself. Hey, you are a strong person. You are still standing tall. I am sure this will pass with time.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mishpaz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
Writing down some positive affirmations is excellent. Give yourself a pat on the back for recognizing that it is just anxiety. You are halfway there. Sometimes when we are not feeling well we will have a panic attack. Our systems are under stress and that makes us worry and before you know it, it will precipitate an attack. I just experienced this myself two days ago. I had a blinding headache and waited too long to take medication for it. Next thing you know I was having a panic attack. So now my head is hurting and I am shaking all over from anxiety. I am now going over all of my therapy 'helps' to try and keep the anxiety from escalating. Continue to follow all of the things that have helped you in the past and try to remember it was caused by a physical sensation and it is just a setback.
Bookmark and Share

Offline diaphanous

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I actually went all day without feeling sick!  I appreciate your support.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline arwashington

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
Hope you're feeling better! I get very anxious when I am sick even before I took a leave of absence from working in a ER. You would think I would not have been anxious there. So yes I go through the same thing. Hope your doctor finds a medicine that works for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline harley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »
Hey I'm sorry your feeling like this it could be the medicine I hate throwing up and even thinking about it makes me cringe and panic! I think I'm pretty sure I have emetaphobia fear of throwing up because i got a stomach bug once and I kept throwing up repeated times so I think my body sensed that It was a danger to throw up and kicked in the fight; flight response  every time I felt sick. I wouldn't go out anywere in fear I'd be sick in public or generally.  It's taking me a long time to challenge this fear and iv got better at it. What you have to do is go on YouTube and search emetaphobia and they have some great tips and strategies to help cope!. Another is distract you self worrying is pointless and won't change a thing.  By thinking ''so what" instead of "what if" help alot Ull be fine!.... keep smiling 😃😃
Bookmark and Share

Tags: