Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story . . .don't worry about where you post items . . we have fantastic moderators and if they think that you will get more help in a different forum, then they will shift you over . . .
I'm not sure if you have ever worked with a counselor when you were younger to identify the root causes of your anxiety about separating from family. It is not an unusual one because most of us do get separation anxiety going into a new environment . . . I guess I would ask you some of the following questions . . .
1. have you spoken with a professional about your separation anxiety . . .not just a prescribing doctor for meds, but someone who could help you with management techniques and finding out why. Sometimes a trigger can be simple.
2. do you know anyone else going on the placement in Bristol? If so, could you buddy up with that person? Where will you be living in Bristol? By yourself? Does uni have any contacts where you might be able to stay with a host family? Sometimes that helps . . .
3. will you be able to return home on the weekends?
4. will the placement keep you busy? will you have access to some place where you can exercise, even just walk? Is there a walking group?
5. if you are taking St. Johns Wort, are you taking any prescribed meds? If so, check out to make sure there are no interactions between the two, okay>
I'm sorry that I could not be of more specific help to you, izzy, but keep checking here. We have great folks on these forums and I bet there is someone with better suggestions than I can offer . . . please let us know how you are doing, okay? We may not be able to solve the problem (we're not med professionals) but we are pretty good at providing support . . .take care, kc