Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Facial Numbness, anyone?  (Read 574 times)

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Facial Numbness, anyone?
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
And I thought I was doing so well.....

Recently, my face has been going numb.  Usually it's just one side or the other, but today it was actually my whole face.  I guess you would call it numbness, though I'm not sure that is the best description.  It's kind of like my facial muscles are seizing up.  Every time it happens, I look in the mirror and smile because I'm terrified of a stroke.  Almost more than that I'm terrified of a TIA as they are so much more subtle, but usually herald a full-on stroke to come. It happens when I am NOT at all stressed.  Driving home from work.  Talking on the phone.  Watching a movie.

Has this happened to anyone?  I always come on here and check things out before heading to the doctor as I try to stop myself from just running to the ER every time I feel like something is wrong.  Let me know if you need more information than what I have given and thank you for listening: )
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Facial Numbness, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
I have been getting facial numbness for about 5 or 6 weeks now.  It started after a severe sinus infection, and, of course, I assume it's a brain tumor but my doc said it's Anxiety. Zoloft is helping a little, and the numbness is isolated to only the top of my lip but it's making me CRAZY with worry.  Having a real hard time letting it go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
It is a tricky one to deal with!  I get numbness and tingling in my face WHEN I'm having a panic attack, so that doesn't scare me anymore, but when it just comes out of the blue like this….and strokes are not limited to older people!  Yes, they are more common in the elderly  population, but they strike young people with more frequency that I am comfortable with haha.

I hope you find some peace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Egg

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »
This is one of my main physical symptoms of anxiety. It is disconcerting for sure, but now that I know what it is, I try to use it as a signpost -- I say to myself, "See, I am feeling (or perhaps sublimating) anxiety, as evidenced by my numb face, which is one of the ways my body communicates with me."

It truly is a very common anxiety symptom. Both my primary care doc and my psychologist told me about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Egg

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Oh, and please try to stop looking in the mirror and smiling. You can strain your facial muscles and make the numbness worse, and/or add other symptoms caused by strained muscles. Trust me on this one! ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
It truly is a very common anxiety symptom. Both my primary care doc and my psychologist told me about it.

I constantly need to remind myself of this fact.  I have been told the same by my Primary doc. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
It is a good thing to remember.  If I'm actively panicking, I usually have no trouble dismissing it.  Its when it hits me out of the blue is when it feels sinister.  I've never talked to a doctor about it, but glad to hear y'all have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »
Oh my gosh! This is happening to me right now! I seriously have this happen so often I thought I had a stroke coming on too. It feels like my left side is getting tight and tough and when I touch it, the sensation feels duller than if I touch the right side. I have been very anxious lately especially after the Easter holiday because traveling makes me panic (my home is my comfort, unless I can go to a hospital, then I am very comfortable with the doctors lol). But this has happened to me every single day since Friday. I just made a post about it. It makes me feel much better knowing someone is with me in this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
My cheek will feel numb and tingly like a foot feels when it wakes up
And it's not really numbness cause I can pinch it and feel it. I
Always think stroke too. Sometimes I even feel like the corner of mouth wants to droop.

I have a sinus infection but I'm convinced I have brain tumor. I have pressure in forehead and feel real off when on my feet which has caused me a ton of anxiety. I'm getting ct scan.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
I get chills that now affect my face and half or all of my body, but never have I had any other type of numbness other than when half of my face was paralyzed from Bells Palsey when I was younger from stress. how long does it last? I do get those weird chills, although I do not think I have HA anymore and have been to theraphy  :banana: I still do have side symptoms like the choking feeling and facial or bodily numbness. You should be fine for a lot of the symptoms are side symptoms of our HA which can drive us insane sometimes! :yes:  :fighting0019:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
It usually lasts only a few seconds.  Maybe 20 at the most.  I've also had the chills that only affect half my face or body. 
Congrats on overcoming HA!  You give hope to the rest of us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
BeeDot to confirm this is a side symptom of anxiety you can look on the HA page and in the orange section 4th post down is a post called "This list is a lifesaver!" and the name lives up to it's title for this post I've printed out and whenever I was in HA mode I would whip it out to confirm my chocking feeling wasn't rabies, or my headache wasn't the start of cancer, etc. Yeah you're not the only one with facial numbness... I used to have full body chills whenever I was cold but these anxiety ones are more often and sometimes local to only one area (excluding my fingers, those always tingle  :laugh3: ... I should start to wear a brace on each hand  ::) ). I am pretty sure what you're experincing is a side symptom of your anxiety. Message me whenever, for I'm on here to help others!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
Thank you so much.  I had forgotten about that list, but have bookmarked it and hopefully it will provide some measure of peace: )  I just hate that there's always something new keeping me on my toes with this HA.
Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »
If it's on one side, then the other, or all over then it can't be a stroke as a stroke would only affect ONE side of your body.    It's funny a day last week I was driving and my cheek by my nose started feeling numb (though I was able to pinch it and feel it) then it spread to my entire cheek and I was starting to freak out...  when I FORGOT about my cheek it went away!  So I chalked it up to anxiety.  I think because I felt a weird feeling on the side of my nose that I blew it up all out of proportion. 

I get chills in my scalp (one side or the other, going onto my ear and side of face, but ONLY when driving - so I am telling myself it's some kind of a "pinched" nerve in my neck)
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
Sunlover, thank you.  That makes so much sense!   I think I'm constantly afraid that I'm having a bunch of mini-strokes all over my brain which is why one side will go numb and then the next day, it's the other side….
I can convince myself of anything: )
Bookmark and Share

Tags: