Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Prescribed Abilify?  (Read 177 times)

Offline briankinney

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Prescribed Abilify?
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
My psych prescribed Abilify for me, starting at the lowest dose possible because of my hypochondria, and wants me to start increasing the dose. But between when he prescribed it and when he asked me to increase the dose, I looked up the side effects and stuff other people said about it, and now I'm terrified! I started panicking when I read all the horror stories about diabetes, weight gain and restlessness from people that took it and how antipsychotics shouldn't be prescribed for depression and anxiety, so I ended up texting him and asking why he prescribed that for me out of everything. He said it was because of my combination of severe anxiety, depression, and "stuck" thoughts. I know the ability commercials say you should be on an SSRI for six weeks before taking abilify for depression, so do the "stuck" thoughts constitute a need for an antipsychotic? I'm new to all this and have no idea if this is something I should be taking.  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prescribed Abilify?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »
I know the ability commercials say you should be on an SSRI for six weeks before taking abilify for depression, so do the "stuck" thoughts constitute a need for an antipsychotic?

Perhaps. I think antidepressants should be the first option for anxiety and depression, but it seems your psychiatrist detected something which suggested that Abilify may be the way to go and he could be right.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I know the ability commercials say you should be on an SSRI for six weeks before taking abilify for depression, so do the "stuck" thoughts constitute a need for an antipsychotic?

That's rather interesting... I can almost hear the deep man's voice reading fast all the possible side effects near the end of the commercial and him mentioning that.

And yet I never even looked into that. Hmm.

My father was prescribed that and that was the first of anything he ever took and they never even mentioned anything else as far as I know. I wonder the significance in that and why they want that.

good post.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »
I got prescribed abilify, my insurance wouldn't cover it. It would have costed me like $600 a month or something. My psych prescribed it for my HA as well, she says I'm like delusional about my health
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »
Oh yeah, There's no Generics for Abilify. Around here it's almost $900 a month. ^
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:23:12 AM »
I wonder why it's so expensive, that's like a monthly car payment for a Benz lol.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:52:37 AM »
I wonder why it's so expensive, that's like a monthly car payment for a Benz lol.

Because the patent doesn't run out until later this year. It can cost billions to develop a new med and someone has to pay for it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: Abilify meds