Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Headaches since March 5th. Brain tumor? Tension headaches? Am I going crazy?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline bukowski

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
painintolerance, I understand your worrying, but trust me when I say that, based on your symptoms there is a 0% chance that you have a brain tumor. I've come to this conclusion because:

1.) If a brain tumor is large enough to induce a headache, it's going to be a severe headache that will prevent you from getting things done or even wanting to get out of bed. It will be the WORST headache of your entire life, and from the way you write, your headaches are annoying and, albeit painful and even disrupting you from achieving optimal sleep at night (at times?), are NOT the worst headaches you've experienced. (?)

2.) You write about nausea, dizziness and blurry vision, but you say it's not very significant. Well, listen, if you had a brain tumor large enough to elicit the headache responses, that nausea, dizziness and blurry vision would be absolutely, positively severe and, if you had a brain tumor, you would be getting really sick and vomiting.

3.) You have headaches in random places. A brain tumor headache would be in one area.

4.) Your twitching eyes have NOTHING AT ALL to do with a brain tumor symptom but more of a kink with the human body and perhaps your anxiety.

5.) Your headaches started on March 5th, nearly two months ago. If it was a brain tumor headache, it would have driven you crazy with its severity by now.

6.) You wrote that you have TMJ, allergies in the spring and that you might have scoliosis and misalignment within your body.

It sounds like it's a combination of tension headaches and TMJ headaches, brother. But I guarantee you that it's not a brain tumor or else my name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

Oh, and by the way, and it's also what I think, but it's 100% OKAY to regularly take OTC pain relievers like motrin (you said that's what you've been taking). Take regularly when the pain is distracting you. But also, take a few days off if you can to avoid your body building a tolerance to it.

Stay positive, be happy and realize that it isn't a brain tumor headache.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
If the weather started getting warmer in March (I'm not sure where you live), that could also contribute to headache. I get headaches every single Spring because I don't drink as much water during Winter and then when it starts getting warmer out, my body needs more water to keep hydrated. And the headaches are from not hydrating myself enough (because I'm not used to it). I just had to remind my mom a few times to start drinking more water because she started getting headaches every day... Now she's feeling a lot better. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Love the replies. Thanks!

@Bella ~~ Thanks for chiming in! It's just all so inconsistent that I have no idea when the pains are going to come on. I'm tired of 'em! Please update me on how the mouth guard works for you!

painintolerance, I understand your worrying, but trust me when I say that, based on your symptoms there is a 0% chance that you have a brain tumor. I've come to this conclusion because:

1.) If a brain tumor is large enough to induce a headache, it's going to be a severe headache that will prevent you from getting things done or even wanting to get out of bed. It will be the WORST headache of your entire life, and from the way you write, your headaches are annoying and, albeit painful and even disrupting you from achieving optimal sleep at night (at times?), are NOT the worst headaches you've experienced. (?)

2.) You write about nausea, dizziness and blurry vision, but you say it's not very significant. Well, listen, if you had a brain tumor large enough to elicit the headache responses, that nausea, dizziness and blurry vision would be absolutely, positively severe and, if you had a brain tumor, you would be getting really sick and vomiting.

3.) You have headaches in random places. A brain tumor headache would be in one area.

4.) Your twitching eyes have NOTHING AT ALL to do with a brain tumor symptom but more of a kink with the human body and perhaps your anxiety.

5.) Your headaches started on March 5th, nearly two months ago. If it was a brain tumor headache, it would have driven you crazy with its severity by now.

6.) You wrote that you have TMJ, allergies in the spring and that you might have scoliosis and misalignment within your body.

It sounds like it's a combination of tension headaches and TMJ headaches, brother. But I guarantee you that it's not a brain tumor or else my name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

Oh, and by the way, and it's also what I think, but it's 100% OKAY to regularly take OTC pain relievers like motrin (you said that's what you've been taking). Take regularly when the pain is distracting you. But also, take a few days off if you can to avoid your body building a tolerance to it.

Stay positive, be happy and realize that it isn't a brain tumor headache.

Wow! Emphatic post! Thanks for the definitive reassurance.

I try not to take Motrin every single day, but on most days I just get annoyed with the headaches and end up taking it out of frustration because I want the pain(s) to go away so badly. Tonight I'm going to be watching UFC 172 with some friends and we'll be imbibing (and I haven't drank in months), so I'm staying away from any pain relievers today. Got a slight ache in the top right corner of my forehead as usual, but I'll just deal with it. Annoying, but I can deal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I also forgot to mention that the headaches get a lot worse with physical exertion. I now feel it in the middle of my forehead. Ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bukowski

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just try to relax and you'll be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The pain is now in the middle of my forehead, the top right corner of my forehead, right temple, the back of my head (same place -- right side) and my right eye hurts.

I wonder if it's sinus AND tmj/tension related? :fragend005: :fragend005: :fragend005: :fragend005: :fragend005:

Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Finally, maybe someone who understands me somewhat at least.  I have had a sharp pain above my right temple for almost 1 year.  Along with that, I have pain on both sides of my head and it's almost isolated to those areas.  It almost feels like two rubber bands that go around my head, and sometimes I have pain behind my eyes too.

I too fear that it's a brain tumor as well, but when I went to the doctor, they did the neurological tests, light in the eyes, etc.  They all say I'm fine but don't want to order a CT scan or MRI, etc.  The pain will come and go from time to time, but I still worry...yet no one thinks anything is wrong with me.  Now with all of that aside, I would also say that your headaches sound like tension/tmj related.  The fact that you've had them since March 5th and have been able to at least tolerate them also shows that it doesn't sound serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
@Caribou -- Yep. The pain is just extremely aggravating.

I can handle the pain in the forehead, but when I get the pain in the right side of the back of my head, it's the worst.

I made it an entire week without taking any OTC pain relievers until today. I cracked and took some motrin. Had to (will likely take another dose before bed). The pain in the right side of the back of my head was driving me crazy. It's even started up again this evening. Hate it. I just want the pain to go away so badly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
If it makes you feel any better, I am having similar headaches and head pain with visual disturbances and I never get headaches.  The pain is always present when I wake up in the morning and seems to be positional...if I lie on my right side, it hurts in the right temple region; left side, left temple; back, the pain migrates to the front.  When I stand up, the pain seems to lessen over two or three hours and if I take OTC meds, it disappears right away.  Occasionally, just for grins, I will get stabbing ice pick sensations in different parts of my head...back of the neck, top of the head.  So fun.  :laugh3: I am also having blurred vision and ghosting in my right eye. 

But here's the thing...I just had a neurological exam, blood tests and a brain CT a few weeks ago and everything was completely normal.  I'm thinking allergies/sinus/weather/stress is contributing and hoping it will go away soon, for both of us. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The headaches still exist. Top right corner of my forehead and same side of the back of my head, and sometimes further up.

I bought some chelated magnesium from the brand Solgar last week and I've been taking it since Friday night. I figured it would help me sleep and maybe thwart the headaches, but no such luck. It has had zero effect on me so far. I'm only sleeping 5-6 hours a night. I can't help but wake up earlier than when I want, sometimes with a headache and sometimes headache-free.

The headaches have been coming and going throughout the day. Sometimes constant. Some days I don't even get them.

Feeling pain in that top right corner of my forehead and right back side of my head currently at the moment. I hate this.

I've also been noticing a lot of eye floaters and my left eyelid twitches a lot after I sneeze.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have a similar situation going on for 3 months.  I have some sort of head pressure, tension feeling primarily at my left temple.  It comes and goes frequently.  I've only had actual headaches (pain, but not bad pain) a couple times and those have been on the right side of my forehead.  Sometimes I get weird sensations like goosebumps in my head at the left temple. 

@painintolerance: I also have slight nausea periodically.  My nausea is in my throat as opposed to my stomach.  How would you explain your nausea?

I've had a CT, and MRI come back normal.  That helped, but hasn't completely stopped my worrying, of course.

Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
@yesyesno ~ I actually haven't experienced any nausea in a couple of weeks. I felt most of it in my head, a sick feeling where I felt like I could get sick but wasn't able to.

For now, my symptoms are the headache in the top right corner of my forehead, pain/ache in the right side of the back of my head, occasional (only in the morning or when I'm tired at night, like now) blurry vision, avid eye floaters that look like strings or the outline of worms (best way I can put it) and my left eyelid twitches at random times for no reason.

I've been trying my best to track any triggers for these headaches, but no luck.

Sunday, May 11: Felt good, no headache, and then started getting the same ones I've been describing at about 7:30 PM while lying down on the couch. Took some Motrin and it went away.
-- No headache the next day.

Tuesday, May 13: Same as Sunday. Felt good, no headache, and then I went outside at 4:30 PM to get something from my car, walked back into the house and instantly the headache started up. Took some motrin and it went away within a couple of hours.
-- No headache the next day.

Today, Thursday, May 15: Felt good... all day long. And tonight, at 9 PM, while washing some dishes up, feeling relaxed and OK, the headaches began. I'm not going to take any motrin tonight despite the pain. I'll be going to bed in a couple of hours, so hopefully I'll be able to sleep it off... hopefully. :(

But I cannot identify any triggers. These headaches/pains are totally random. They aren't awful to the point I can't move or get out of bed, but again, they do muck up and put a wrench in my day due to how annoying the pain is. I just don't trust in taking motrin all the time, which is why I'm staving off the temptation of using any tonight. Life would be so much better without these random hell headaches spawning at random times.

It can't be dietary related, either, because on Sunday, Tuesday and today I've ate different things. And I haven't really been stressed out about anything.

I hate this/these.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well, I never took any motrin last night. I slept OK.

Woke up today feeling good. Headache was gone, and I went about my day. But about 50 minutes ago at 5:10, the same headaches I've been describing resurfaced.

It feels like an ache in the top right corner of my forehead. In the back, right side of my head, more up than down, it feels like a stabbing ache for 2-4 seconds, then eases off before starting up again.

I'm so worried. :( And I can't stand worrying. :( :( Are you guys sure it's not a brain tumor? I mean, if it was a brain tumor, wouldn't I be experiencing extreme symptoms like vomiting and not being able to properly walk or random pain/numbness in my arms and legs? I wish I could get it checked out, but the lack of insurance and lack of desire to pay some ridiculous fee is keeping me away.

Please reassure me... I know I'm a pain in the ass, but these headaches are the real pain that's driving me to post.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Are you guys sure it's not a brain tumor?

Well...no.  I mean, we're not doctors, we're not all-knowing gods and we don't have x-ray vision.  But NOTHING you describe jumps up and screams "brain tumor."  I would bet everything I have on you having tension headaches and maybe some sinus troubles. 

Brain tumors are not subtle creatures, and you continue to steadily deteriorate with one.  Brief, sharp, stabbing headaches are not the kinds of headaches associated with brain tumors.
Bookmark and Share

Offline painintolerance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you, Molly.

But what about the left eyelid twitching and overall eye floaters that I notice from time to time?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: headaches