Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need help so that I don't fall into the same pit I've been in before  (Read 107 times)

Offline Guitarcad1991

• Rec's: 1
  • Hi I'm Chris get to know me
    • Poke This Member
I've had hypochondria for so long now. Although I do have several REAL diagnosed health issues. (I hate even thinking about my health). Anyway, after much prayer and searching, I finally got a urologist appointment for this friday with one of the most high-tech urology centers in California. That's good.

What I fear is that, like has happened before, that it won't be enough, that I will not be satisfied with results, that I will keep needing more and more parts of my body looked at.

I really don't want to go down this road because it opens up so many problems right now, and in my future. But I also don't want to say "F it", like I have done in the past, and simply just swept everything under the rug in order that I could try to live a normal life.

There has to be a balance between taking good care of the only body we have on this earth, and being so overly-obsessed that I will actually never be satisfied. Because, I will die someday, and that's the truth.

My search, as I evaluate myself, has been more to return to a childlike, worry-free state where I don't have any problems or pains; basically Heaven.

I know that can't be reached here on earth, and we shouldn't be worried or focused on those types of things.

Does anyone have any tips that have helped them? Time and time again, I was certain that I had overcome my health-anxiety, but it turns out that every single time something goes wrong, it ALL comes back again. I need to get to a point where I can be relaxed. I suspect I may even have autoimmune problems because I've been worrying for 22 years straight.

I know this is alot, but I appreciate help and support. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need help so that I don't fall into the same pit I've been in before
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
Well, I think it's important to realize that if you keep approaching your anxiety the same way, you're going to keep getting the same outcome.

Have you considered treating your anxiety? Anxiety is a mental disorder, so therefore it's counterproductive to try and "treat" it through testing various body parts. One won't ever really treat the other. In fact, over and over again it's been shown that medical testing does nothing to alleviate anxiety in the long term. If anxiety is a problem with out thinking, than you've got to learn to think differently about your health/body/symptoms.

So my first piece of advice is to curb the medical testing. Then I'd also recommend you try and curb any other "negative reinforcement" behaviors like reassurance seeking and googling, if you do those things. Those already I think will help immensely, but since anxiety can sometimes be quite serious, professional help is needed. And there's no shame in pursuing these types of treatments. Medication, therapy—these are the most typically prescribed (and in my experience the best) treatments for depression and anxiety. Sometimes we just can't muscle the ability to "get over" this stuff ourselves.

Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: