Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm Not Sure Why I Shouldn't  (Read 801 times)

Offline wrstone

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm Not Sure Why I Shouldn't
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:45 AM »
Thanks, Potatoes.  My issue is that my parents are both in the psychological field, which means I can "speak the lingo" with my doctors.

When you can do that, you discover that medical care is a lot more frakked-up than you think.  The stories I could tell ...

I long ago decided that the only way to get this done was if I do it, and nobody else.  I'm not a doctor, but I've lived around them my whole life and know how to look things up and educate myself.  I know more about brain functioning and affects of medications on the brain than a lot of GPs.

As I say, I finally got it:  if I want this to get handled, I'm just going to have to do it myself.  If that means I have to be my own guinea pig, so be it.

You're a lot younger than I, so I wouldn't despair just yet.  When I first started on this journey, medications were incredibly sedative.  While they might have an effect, they also made it impossible to concentrate.

We've now got extremely targeted, advanced medications.  At your age, there's every reason to believe you'll find a conventional medication that will help.

Me, I'm 50.  The reality is that clinically, after about age 45, your brain has become very wired to respond a certain way, making it much more difficult to treat.

Hence, if I'm going to get this worked out, I'm just going to have to do this crap myself.  ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 04:20:49 AM »
Be careful using that stuff. I had to take it for years when i was going through massive dental work. The unintended side effect was bowel problems. And let me tell you, week long constipation triggers anxiety like nothing ive seen before.  ive been off the stuff for five years now and I'm still not fully recovered.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wrstone

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:39:51 AM »
Lunatone, my understanding is that this is due to the large amounts of acetaminophen present in the tablets.  It causes GI problems as well as potential liver damage over the long term.

The acetaminophen can be removed fairly easily.

But I do appreciate the warning and will definitely keep it in mind if I decide to go this route.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
Any high school kid now adays knows how to extract the acetaminophen from opiates. So in the mindset that it's easy to do, that's true. But how long do you think a person can go with an opiate-based regimen? How would you dose yourself to where in 3 weeks from the day you started you won't have doubled the amount you're taking in? Is it the euphoric feeling of it that causes such freedom and reduced anxiety? I just am not sure if it's a successful long-term approach.

I mean all addiction aside...

You've got to look at the tolerance that your body will soon build from it... the bio-availability and how it's absorbed. I mean I knew 20 year old guys who were up to 10-12 hydrocodone 10's, (Yellow jackets) as they called them, easily. You're only looking at about 4 hours of relief. then it's going to wear off. I'm not giving you any ideas but a Fentanyl patch would seem more reasonable than hydrocodone. I just think you're going to get used to the feeling of your first few doses in a matter of days... two weeks max... and you're going to want to up.. The sky isn't really the limit when it comes to that. financially, physically, psychologically.

Just some food for thought, you're welcome to counter on that.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline wrstone

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Thanks, Potatoes.  In fact, the tolerance issue is precisely why I've not jumped right into it.  I can't counter your argument, it's perfectly true.

That's what I'm struggling with.  I know that this will be a long-term problem.  On the other hand, I've spend 49 years screaming under the sheets for days and occasionally cradling my M1911 just to remind myself that ultimately there's a way out if I need it.

I'm no longer clear that tolerance is worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »
Lunatone, my understanding is that this is due to the large amounts of acetaminophen present in the tablets.  It causes GI problems as well as potential liver damage over the long term.

The acetaminophen can be removed fairly easily.

But I do appreciate the warning and will definitely keep it in mind if I decide to go this route.

The acetaminophen is responsible for liver risk but the constipation and other GI affects are actually due to the opioid. Acetaminophen, while not GI side effect-free for everyone, is probably THE best tolerated pain medications in terms of the gastrointestinal system. More so than opiates, steroids, and NSAIDS
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
It's tough my friend. I'm not by any means putting your idea down. Best luck and let us know how things are going.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Tags:

anything