Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help/Advice Needed!  (Read 168 times)

Offline Danny

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help/Advice Needed!
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm new here (first post, actually) but I really need your help with something.

I'm 16 and I've always had a bit if anxiety, but recently it has reached the point where I am constantly terrified of having a heart attack and it keeps me awake all night. I literally lie in bed / sit up for hours and hours with my fingers to my wrist to check my pulse and no matter what I tell myself I can't sleep and I can't stop being terrified that I'm gonna die to the point that I'm half worried that I won't ever get to sleep and half that if I do sleep I won't wake up again.

I've tried talking to my parents about it and I started seeing a psychologist a few weeks ago, but they don't really take me seriously and my mum is refusing to buy the medication that the doctor prescribed me for panic attacks (Ativan, I think), although I'm not sure if that would help with this specifically.

It doesn't help that I also get pretty bad acid reflux and the other night it was so painful that it kept me up til about 7 an still hurt when I woke up at 11. I'm now on medication for this, but it means I sometimes get genuine chest pain that makes me even more scared.

If anyone has any advice, it would be hugely appreciated because I'm on school holidays at the moment but go back next week and I already missed a week last term because of anxiety (I felt so sick and anxious that I couldn't even get to school). I can't afford to be tired!!!

Thanks in advance,
Danny.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help/Advice Needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
Chest pain and anxiety go hand in hand. Once we are even a bit stressed out we tend to tighten up and pull those muscles in a clinch. Ever see a cat when it sees a dog? Way it stands on all four paws, hair in the air. That is us with anxiety. It is bound to hurt. We all get similar aches and pains. Only as you are fully focused on it, you are more aware of it. Inwardly focused as we call it. You need to take your mind off of yourself. Find something new to focus on. Then the pain will go away. By focusing on it, you are feeding it. It becomes worse. It is causing the reflux. If I feel bad at night I put on a radio and say ' whatever will be, will be ' and I just lay in my bed. What happens? I fall asleep. By simply giving in to it. It is like taken the power from it. Distraction is the key word here. Tell your psychologist that your mother refuses to buy the medication. It is important that that is known. He may use another approach.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: