Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Strangley helpful words..  (Read 220 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Strangley helpful words..
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
So a neighbor of mine, a good man who is a pastor and studying counseling right now, had some very good words posted on his ***** that really struck home with me today. He's been through more struggles than anyone deserves: severe panic attacks at a few points in his life and he's had to bury two sons.

Anyway, I've been struggling a lot lately and really trying to keep my head above water dealing with a med change and then a lot of new life stress immediately following. And here's the statement he had that really hit home for me:

"I'm not Ok, and that's OK"

I'm NOT ok. It's ok to let people see me struggle.....people other than my husband and mother and psychiatrist.  I want to be better, I've been working so hard to be better.  And that's important. But maybe sometimes it's ok to acknowledge that you're not doing well.  That you're at one of life's many struggles. I WILL be ok, later on. but I'm not now. But not being OK doesn't mean I can't still get enjoyment out of the small things here and there, that I can't wait out the storm. And to know when to reach for more help. Not to expect things to get better right away from that help, but to have that extra support to get through that storm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline radiance_94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Strangley helpful words..
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
Thanks AncientMelody for passing on this great piece of advice :) I've told myself this a few times too and it's helped me get through some rough times. I have finally started following the last part of what you said---seeking help. I've always been too scared to seek help, worried what others will think, if they will see me as weak and annoying. I suffered silently for years because i thought I could get over it my anxiety and depressed feelings on my own. I usually did...but then it would always come back. Recently i had a very bad case of it and I am finally seeking help. I've started seeing a therapist and it's just the beginning of the recovery process so i still go through alot of anxiety and miserable feelings, but it feels alot better knowing people are there to help me. That people know that i'm going through something, even if they dont EXACTLY what it is. I think i'm able to accept my problems more when I open up to people about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline maple

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
Your neighbor is right, and his words are wise...  struggling with not feeling well is difficult, but it won't last forever.  Be kind to yourself, and take good care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
AM, I like your post and I like the words shared by your friend:  I'm not okay and that's okay.
I love that.  These days, I'm much better than I was this winter.  I may not be perfectly myself, but that's okay too.
I like where I'm at.  And I'm always rooting for myself and my friends.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: