Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sertraline metabolism question  (Read 131 times)

Offline redpa18t

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sertraline metabolism question
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »
I have a question for the "experts." I have been on 100mg a day of sertraline for about 7 weeks (up from 50mg for 8 weeks). After the first two weeks of the increase I was feeling great and started to feel I was getting back to normal. Felt this way for about 3 weeks or so. I wasn't doing anything in the way of exercise at all. Then over the next two weeks I was doing a lot of yard work. Tearing down a deck, removing an above ground pool and digging up a space to place a shed. I have noticed that for a few days after doing this that i began to feel anxious again. I woke up with that 'wired' feeling again in the morning, felt edgy and nervous most of the morning until about 3 or 4pm, then i began to feel great again. It was exactly how I felt when I started the medication and how I felt when my dosage was increased.

So my question is this. Could it be that by exerting energy and speeding up my metabolism, that my body metabolized the Sertraline at a faster rate than I was used to? Therefore giving me the same feelings that I had in the beginning when my dosage was too low? Now that we are about a week or so removed from the work being done I am feeling better and better everyday, but still not completely back to normal. Is there any validity to this line of thinking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline metabolism question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
So my question is this. Could it be that by exerting energy and speeding up my metabolism, that my body metabolized the Sertraline at a faster rate than I was used to? Therefore giving me the same feelings that I had in the beginning when my dosage was too low? Now that we are about a week or so removed from the work being done I am feeling better and better everyday, but still not completely back to normal. Is there any validity to this line of thinking.

No, exercise won't have much effect on how sertraline is metabolized. The heightened anxiety is more likely to be caused by the exercise. While exercise is generally good for anxiety and depression, producing the same brain changes as antidepressants do, albeit on a smaller scale, going overboard, especially when you haven't done any for a while can be counter productive. Both lactic acid and CO2 are known anxiety triggers and are actually used in research to trigger anxiety and panic attacks. Another factor is that some of the physical effects of exercise are also part of the fight-or-flight response and these can be disturbing to those with anxiety disorders.

The best way of nullifying all these factors is to build up your exercise regime slowly, rather than going from couch potato to running marathons overnight.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline redpa18t

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
I just found it interesting that the effects of this "spell" were identical to those that I experienced at the beginning of my medication and my increase in dosage. Both times I would feel wired upon waking up, and would just feel like sitting still. Not moving, not going anywhere or doing anything. Then by late afternoon it had completely lifted and I felt great. Eventually all of that went away and I felt great all the time for about three weeks. Then all of a sudden it was back for the past 5 days or so, but seems to be slowly easing up again. This morning I was not nearly as wired, and I feel a lot more mentally stable then I did on Wednesday of last week.

It wasn't just a rush of anxiety that I felt for an hour or so, it has been about a week's worth of that same feeling as before. Almost as if the dosage was trying to catch up to my body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
It wasn't just a rush of anxiety that I felt for an hour or so, it has been about a week's worth of that same feeling as before. Almost as if the dosage was trying to catch up to my body.

Well see how it goes. Setbacks happen. You may need to up the dose again, but it's too early to make that call yet I think as you seem to be rebounding okay.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: