Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help. Somebody  (Read 429 times)

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help. Somebody
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
I have never had this fear before, i am terrified i have ms. My left hand has been feeling odd the last few days and now i keep waking up with both hands numb at the same time. Im absolutely terrified. I have always had health anxiety and i know people say its all in your head and 99% of the time they are right but these symptoms are too real. Somebody PLEASE help
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help. Somebody
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:25:42 PM »
Symptoms can never be "too real". Anxiety can most absolutely cause very real physical symptoms. For me it's muscle twitching, my feet and sometimes hands get cold, my left leg tickles, my foot gets tingly, I get a lump in the throat, etc. All of which I've been able to attribute to anxiety. It's not the anxiety itself that created these symptoms but what anxiety does to your body. Look into the details of fight-or-flight. May surprise you.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:48:47 AM »
AP151 nailed it. No such thing as "too real" when it comes to anxiety. I've been down the MS worry road my friend, it's not worth it. Anxiety can absolutely fool you into thinking you have the very thing you fear! Just take it easy.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »
But BOTH hands are numb when i wake up, i even slept with them by my side so compression and when i wake up they are numb. They feel a bit tight now. I never even had a fear of MS until this started happening. I cant even get a doctors appointment for 2 days, i have a 7 month old son and this worry is stopping me sleeping and even being able to look after him properly. Is it possible to have EVERY symptom and not have it. Im a 25 year old female, no family history of it. What are the chances. Im shaking im so anxious over it. The numbness only seems to be happening in my sleep also.. My fingers are getting pains in them now. I cant cope..
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
You asked for the odds - 1 in 750. That translates to 0.13%. So about a tenth of a percent. Pretty darn low, right? Yes, it's possible to have a lot of the symptoms and not have it. During my MS fears, I had random numb body parts like my index finger one minute? Tingly ness in my left foot that lasted for days, twitching in the legs feet and arms, lump in the throat, all of it. When my fear transferred to ALS, all of these sensory symptoms went away and all that was left was the twitching muscles and lump in the throat. Look into how somatization works along with the fight or flight system while you're at it, it may comfort you. We can create just about any symptom.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Tiredofbeingexhausted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
I have every symptom of MS... I have also went through every test. No MS diagnoses yet. Anxiety makes you believe you have it, no matter what people tell you. You will continue to believe you have it even after reading this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Torontoworries

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
Whatever you do, you ought not Google this.

It's the same advice I need to keep telling myself, as well. MS is *such* a common disease to fear.

Here's a fun little trick: type in the words "I'm afraid I have" (and JUST those four words) into Google and look at the first (most common) suggestion. Just do it. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PainIsAnIllusion

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »
You likely do not have ms... If you do, know this...

Ms is not fatal

Ms gets more and more manageable with drug and therapy advancements every year.

Only about 30% end up in a wheelchair and that's much later in the disease... About 3/10000 people in the general population in other words.

There's much worse than ms, and I've already thought I've had it... And some days I still do. So fret not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
Thanks for your replies. My numbness seems to only be at night, like when i go to sleep so do my hands.. Doesn't happen in the day. I have been co-sleeping with my son, i now have a bad back which im thinking might be causing the numbness maybe? Im trying to be logical now but obviously im still really worried it is something serious, my whole body feels tired, sometimes my speech is slurred. I had a full eye test yesterday and they said everything looks ok there. Im taking propranolol now, i think that is causing some side effects too. Rr gosh i dont know, the numbness just ruins my whole nights sleep because im constantly waking up and having to get the feeling back in my hands, when the feeling comes back i dont get the pins and needles feeling, the feeling just comes back.... Strange or not?
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
I feel like you're me 7 years ago! I had so many symptoms of MS (so I thought). My first child was about your childs age. I started getting tingling in my left arm which started it all. I think it was from carrying my child so much, but it sent me down the rabbit hole of health anxiety at the time. I absolutely woke up with numb hands from time to time during my MS scare. I thought for sure my vision was affected, had random numbness and tingling. Anyway, here I am 7 years later and no MS symptoms!! You're fine I promise!! HA is a beeyotch!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
i wake up with numb/hot palms all the time. it's very nervewracking but it's also one of the most common symptoms i've seen talked about on these forums, which helps me a little to know that it's likely caused by anxiety and nothing more. i really hope you feel better. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline PainIsAnIllusion

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »
I get numbness in my hands all the time during sleep... You may have a propensity for compression in your carpal tunnel. Are you slightly to moderately overweight?

You need wrist braces to sleep with during the night and your wrists won't collapse the tunnel and you won't wake up numb...

If you're waking up as much as you say, that's likely affecting your energy levels, not getting a good nights rest.

Also, if my guess about your being a bit over weight is correct, consider also sleep apnea.... It will destroy your waking energy levels and cause you a multitude of physical symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
You are tense in your sleep that's why you wake with numb hands...nothing to do with MS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »
Im 11 stone, i was 10 before my son, im 5ft8 so not overweight for my height, i do have carpal tunnel, i went to the doctors today and my blood work has shown i have an underactive thyroid which is where all my symptoms have been coming from, I'll be on medication for the rest of my life but at least i have a reason for feeling the way i have been and can now get better :) and no MS  :happy0151: thanks for the replies
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
You don't have MS. Chances are if you're waking up with numb hands you probably have a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. There are tons of people who have it now, and the main symptom is waking up with numb hands. It is totally benign and 100% treatable. I had both of my wrists treated in August of 2012.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Tags: