Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Breathing...  (Read 146 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Breathing...
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
OK, So I read people on here talk about shortness of breath and I've had that in the past.  There were times my chest was so tight I couldn't "catch my breath" for nothing.  The thing is, I've been on medication and that is going away, the part where I can't catch it.  What remains, some days is the constant feel like I need to.  I always can catch my breath, but sometimes I do it every 5 minutes for hours.  There are days where I only do it 5 or 6 times, like a sigh or something... totally normal.  But then there is days like today where I catch my breath 100's of times and it seems like no matter how many times I catch it, my "reflex" kicks to catch it again shortly.

Am I the only one with this one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breathing...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:07 AM »
I think what happens with anxiety sufferers is they clutch at air. Mouth open as if they have to grab it in. This will only make a person much worse. When breathing always use the nose for breaths in. The mouth for breaths out. The more times you try and breathe quickly to more you may begin to feel dizzy or off in some form. It is all about learning. Good place to begin is on you tube. Watch a few videos on breathing methods. Learn the right and the wrong way. Put it to practice. One thing that is for certain. You will always breathe when you have to. Those extra breaths are just yourself and your mind. If you held your breath there would come a time were the body would make you breathe. I think some people imagine if they don't do all these breaths they will suddenly stop breathing. That will never happen. So look at a few videos. Learn the right way to do things. Make things right for yourself.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
Agreed and I do all of that.  I never breath through my mouth.  I guess it's something I just have to keep training...
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
The thing is, it's like a "reflex" I don't even think about it.  It just happens.  I ignore it and ignore it.  Somedays it's bad somedays it isn't.  It's weird. 

I do notice it happens more when my anxiety is up in situations.  I don't want to say stressful situations, because they're not.  They're what I've done in my job for 13 years without thought.  Now all of a sudden mundane tasks bring on anxiety.  It's got to be all chemical, it's certainly not stressful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:05:34 AM »
I have problems like this. The interesting thing is they've done studies of peopel with anxiety issues that feel like they have trouble breathing. Every single time, there was absolutely no physical evidence there was a problem. Everything was working perfectly fine in literally every case. (barring those that already had some issue like asthma, of course.)

This isnt' a solution to your problem I know... But its good to remind yourself that theres nothing physically wrong that can hurt you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: