Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New guy here, longtime sufferer  (Read 104 times)

Offline never quit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New guy here, longtime sufferer
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »
Glad to find this site. I am a 50 year old single dude, living alone, never married, 11 years sober, very high-functioning professional who has cyclical bouts of intense anxiety and depression. I have had an excruciating day.

This all started with panic disorder in 1996. The lowest point was late 2008, 2009 when I went to the hospital, four admissions, four weeks total.

Diagnoses: GAD, not connected to anything in particular. I have trouble with down times, when it's quiet.
Major Depressive Disorder: This one is tricky, it is more cyclical, when it hits, it's different than normal depression. I feel intense grief, pain and agitation, this happened today. Sundays are tough for me.

As for meds I have tried: Kind of all of them? SSRIs, SNRIs, atypical antipsychotics, Lamictal, Lyrica, and of course klonopin and its family members. Currently I am taking 100 mgs of Pristiq and about 1.25 mgs of klonopin daily. I was recently taking Lyrica and quit because while effective, I was gaining a lot of weight. I've also taken Abilify, max 2 mgs, also not on that at the moment.

Symptoms: Intense flushing signals an anxiety attack. It can last for hours and sometimes days. There is a continuous sense of doom, like I'm next in line for the electric chair.

Good things that I do: I exercise. A LOT. I don't drink, but smoke. I meditate. I do a bit of yoga. I play guitar in a band, I'm not bad. I have learned a lot about this condition. These conditions. I have a shrink and a good therapist. I'm solid financially, very successful in an intensively competitive field (journalism).

My quality of life is poor, to put it mildly. I look forward to exploring this site and offering and receiving support. Today is about as bad as it gets for me. I would go to the ER but there's no point in it. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that these stretches don't last.

Thanks to anyone for reading and hopefully responding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New guy here, longtime sufferer
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
You have definitely come to the right place. You will find a lot of compassionate people on this site. At least you experience a bit of a pattern  and know your anxiety will pass.
I experience intense emotions as well, emotions such as fear and pain. This can be very difficult.

Welcome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline jmacd82

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »
I'm new too.  I've suffered on and off with anxiety and panic attacks (mainly anxiety though) for the last 5 years.  My biggest problem is irrational thoughts, that feeling that you aren't in control of your own mind and thoughts.  This recent bout of anxiety has been constant for almost 6 weeks now, so I'm hoping for some advice and help from here
Bookmark and Share

Offline never quit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
Thank you for the replies! I feel very welcome. At the moment I sm still deeply in the doo doo but like I said, this stuff never lasts, so I will hopefully be helpful to others at some point. Right now it's just all pain. Life is grand.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: GAD depression