Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Obsession over Cancer - Please Help  (Read 247 times)

Online servo75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obsession over Cancer - Please Help
« on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
I've always been very health conscious and worried about health, yet "white-coat" phobic.  For some reason in the past few months I've been imagining one disease (or the possibility of one) after another and have made multiple doctor visits for what (most of the time, except for an ear infection) was nothing.

Three times last month I went because I thought I felt bumps on my neck.  Turned out to be nothing.  I was fine for a while then I thought I felt breast tenderness (I'm a guy).  So I had to get to the doctor right away.  She said she could feel no lumps or masses but Rxed an ultrasound just to make sure.  No sooner do I start to feel better about that then my mind moves to something else.  Now I'm getting a fear of testicular cancer that I have to check "down there" a few times a day.  We learned how to do a self-check in college and I have to say that I have felt NOTHING unusual, and there is nothing to go to a doctor with, yet I still have a persistent fear - of what, I don't know.  That I missed something?  Am I checking correctly?  Better do it again.  I realize that doctor visits will NOT put my mind at ease because I need to quell the underlying anxiety.  But how?

I've never had any of the life events that usually trigger hypochondria.  I've never lost a friend or loved one to serious illness, nor are there any traumatic experiences involving death from my childhood.  I don't know why this is getting so much worse in the past few months.  I've gone from occasional health worry and doctor avoidance to near constant and many doctor visits.  But even more, I don't know what I can do to start making this better.   :fragend005:

I have started seeing a therapist last week but I don't have good hope there.  I have never found therapy to be real helpful in the past.  It doesn't last long enough and I don't feel I get tools to deal with it in the 167 hours per week that I'm not there.  I need some strategy or meditation or reassurance or SOMETHING that I can get by with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obsession over Cancer - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Hello,
I can totally relate. I too am obsessed with having cancer. I have recently been referred for an ultrasound on a slight swelling in my face and I'm a mess over it. Last year I had to have a mamogram because of breast discharge and it almost sent me insane! It was fine. I have the form for a CBC and I'm scared yo get it done because I can't face hearing the bad news. Like you I have no obviois triggers for this, I've just been yhis way as long as I can remember.
Bookmark and Share

Online servo75

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Thank goodness for groups like this, though.  I mean I have been under stress at work lately, so I know that can trigger these things, but of course what to do about it?
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
Servo, I've been getting worse too the last few months!   I actually started worrying I have uterine cancer and I have absolutely NO symptoms and no reason to believe I'm even at a higher risk!!  How crazy is that??   I have no idea what is wrong with me anymore and it's driving me "mad"!  I have my regular dilation eye exam next Saturday and I'm freaking out he's going to tell me something is wrong with my optic nerve.  Again, no symptoms of anything and no reason it SHOULD be swollen or anything else! (and like you, I never had a family member with a serious disease, I had the BEST childhood and parents...  I too am thinking of seeing a therapist or something because I can't even enjoy life anymore.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aimee1875

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »
Exactly the same with me,petrified of anything to do with it yet and even though there's probably nothing wrong with me,I still believe I had it!! Right now I'm frightened of lymphoma due to a few lymph nodes under my jaw area which I've had for a few months,probably nothing as doctor couldn't feel anything serious but I don't listen. Honestly please don't worry over it,you need to live life now and enjoy every single moment of it and don't worry about any of that :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety health OCD cancer Worry