Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared to stop drinking  (Read 434 times)

Offline clohessy9

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared to stop drinking
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
I am terrified to stop drinking because I've used it to relieve my anxiety/hypochondria. It's become out of control I haven't drank in a couple of days but I'm scared I'll get anxiety "flare up" and again will turn to the drink. I know drinking makes anxiety worse but it's been how I cope on and off for a long time. When my HA is real bad it's the only relief I get. I just needed to get this out.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared to stop drinking
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »
Have you discussed this with your doc or a therapist?  Perhaps they can suggest something different for you to keep your anxiety at bay other than the alcohol?  I'm sure it's just one more thing for you to stress over, but hang in there!!!! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
I am in the exact same boat as you. I am to the point that I am going to stop and just let what happens happen, I don't want to live like that anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clohessy9

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
This day will prove to be the end of me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sammy1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
I have been using alcohol for years to self-medicate my anxiety.  The problem as I have come to understand is that my alcohol use is just about my #1 anxiety trigger.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
Hi clohessy9.  I have a problem similar to you.  I have worked long and hard to fight my anxiety but I still use alcohol to self-medicate especially when I am at home.  In fact 90% of the time, I drink in excess when I am at home.  I think its because I spend all day fighting through challenge after challenge (related to my issues and how I deal with them) and then when I get home, I am mentally exhausted and I head for the wine.  Some days are much better than others.  Yesterday my husband went to a baseball game at night and I started freaking out when he was leaving.  I was giving him all sorts of hugs and asking that he wouldn't leave jokingly (which is hysterical since I am a bit of an ice queen) but then I realized it was because I was scared to be alone.  I tried distracting myself my vacuuming the house and playing with the dog but next thing I know, out pops the wine.

I would love to know the answer to this.  If I quit drinking, how do I deal with my anxiety?  My psychiatrist says I should take my clonazepam instead and I did try that for one month but nothing changed - I didn't feel any different.  I still had anxiety every night and still was "medicating" even though it wasn't "self medicating". 

Tell me more about your situation??  This is a major thing for me, I want to know your stories too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: