Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attacks  (Read 150 times)

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attacks
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
I'm very curious as to everyone's panic attacks here with HA. Currently going thru a ALS scare and my attacks seem to be about 5 minutes. I get this feeling of certain doom and feel so sick to my stomach. I feel overwhelmed like I need to get up and do something but I can't. I've even cried once (colon cancer fear). What are your symptoms? Also, when it happens it's usually first thing in the morning and I can't go back to sleep. I used to sleep when I was scared now I can't. Any of this sound like a panic attack?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
Good morning,

It very much does sound like one. When your anxieties and stressors, especially ones that would have a great impact on you but it's unsure if it exists (ALS, Cancers) it can most definitely throw you for a loop. You feel sort of... Doomed inside, and your brain is firing off all types of signals and you begin to feel these overwhelming emotions.

I used to get my attacks during mid afternoon to evening, when I was fatigued. Are yours happening before the times you plan on waking up? It's most definitely an impact on sleep, probably with the increased heart rate, but I did sleep through one of mine, and woke up in a panic.

Hope all is well.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Mine happen right when I wake up. Usually a few minutes after waking up and I can't go back to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
I know there's a poll for symptoms but I want to hear everyone's accounts. It really shows how the symptoms work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ira

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »
The first panic attack I ever had was when I was driving in really heavy rain last year.  I was a bit scared of hydroplaning so I was driving slow, while everyone else kept going 60 lol.  I remember my heart started beating excessively fast.  I tried to control my breathing but soon I started hyperventilating.  The really scary part happened next.  Both my arms went completely numb and I started having tunnel vision.  I pulled into an empty flea market where I saw a few cars parked and went to all the buildings I could see just looking for someone to help me.  I felt like I was going to die right then and there.  After about 45 minutes of waiting I recovered enough to drive the rest of the way home.

Sometimes I have attacks that aren't so bad, where I just feel dry mouth, stuffy nose, have trouble swallowing, shortness of breath, and anxiety.  Not too much fun.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Interesting. I wish more people would share there experiences. I always feel overwhelmed. Do you? I also feel like the worst thing could happen in any situation and I look ahead to everything and play every scenario out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
This is my list:  tingling on one side of the face or both, tension around eyes, trouble swallowing, throat tightening sensation, dry mouth, plugged ears, feeling off balance, tingling in hands, arms happens in both or just one side.  Clenching my jaw, hyperventilating w/o realizing it.  Tension in shoulders, back, neck, stomach.  The thing about anxiety, it rears its ugly head in many different patterns, just when you think you have it beat, it shows up differently.  I have dealt with anxiety off and on for years, it works subconsciously.  I have found talking does wonders for my physical symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Joining this forum has helped me immensely. So, I know what you mean about talking.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: symptoms