Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could this be a relapse of MS (Multiple Sclerosis)? Oh almighty...  (Read 257 times)

Offline Torontoworries

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm scared. There's really no other way of putting it.

In November of 2012 I turned the entire city of Toronto upside down in my anxious furor over my MS anxieties. I had a "weak" leg, mild tingling intermittently, but most insidious of all, a subtle underlying "vertigo" when walking- when I moved my head in any direction other than straight ahead (up, down, left, right, up-and-to-the-right) I would feel off-balance and just the slightest bit stumbly. I had an MRI scan- clear. Evoked potentials- clear. Six doctors told me it was anxiety. St. Michael's MS clinic (one of the largest and most prestigious of its type in Canada) told me it was definitely not MS.

So it faded, and I lived in bliss for over a year. Flashforward to April 2014 (now), and I'm saying hello again to the off-balance feeling when I walk. I have no idea what this could be. I wasn't really feeling "anxious" when it started. It almost overcame me over night. Now I'm doubly as terrified because this almost resembles a relapse of the relapsing-remitting MS-type. Is it possible the Neurologist, the MRI scan, and the EP were just plain inaccurate?

Any insight is appreciated. My sincerest respects to my fellow hypochondriacs.

Bookmark and Share

Offline breakingbadhabits

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could this be a relapse of MS (Multiple Sclerosis)? Oh almighty...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »
I must say that recently I have had similar issues as you.

One day I started having tingling feeling of rain drop like sensation that was intermittent, then shortly after I became anxious and developed a off-balance dizziness feeling that felt awful. I started having panic attacks to the point I thought I was having a heart attack. Then started searching the internet for answers and MS started popping up and scaring the crap out of me. I went and saw my family physician multiple times, had a mri done (clear), been to a ENT and nothing. Since then I have tried to just take it day by day hoping whatever it is will go away. Now 4 weeks later it is almost gone, except for the few occasions I start feeling dizzy again. I dont know if it is anxiety doing a number on me, if it is an ear issue or something worse.

I understand the hell you are going through and I hope goes away. Try relaxing and concentrating on other things. If you must, ask your doctor about the past MRI; if it was Cranial or if it was also a spinal MRI as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
I can relate to your concern. I have had neurological symptoms over the last nine years. I feel they have gotten worse. They totally went away twice for a couple of years at a time. My symptoms horrify me. I have been tested extensively and been to two neurologists and no reason has ever been found.  I am in the midst of being tested by another neurologist for other disorders. Scary. I too, am located in Toronto.

You have been told yours is anxiety, so the best thing you can do is to accept this diagnosis and deal with your stress. You will be fine.

Here is to us all feeling better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
You can't have a relapse of something you don't have. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline breakingbadhabits

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
For me I go back and forth between being anxious about ms and not. Maybe tmi but I have had to pee a lot more recently, plus the tingling and off balance dizziness. I'm not sure if the muscle fatigue is anxiety or not either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Not MS...Can't be relapse of smth you didn't have the first time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:21 AM »
You guys would be surprised how many different bodily things can make you feel "off balance" or like you have vertigo. Anxiety being one of them. Ear problems (fluid build up/infection) can also easily cause vertigo/"dizziness", along with a neck muscle called the sternocleidomastoid muscle (a muscle thats strained quite a bit during stress/anxiety). Along with other more common reasons.

You've had an MRI and multiple people tell you it's not MS. Accept the diagnosis.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Tags: