Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Emetephobia  (Read 336 times)

Offline emiloo09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Emetephobia
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Emetephobia is taking over my life. Ever since I had a miscarriage and was constantly ill after, I have developed panic attacks and severe fear of vomiting or others vomiting. I am in college, so I drink and am around others who drink. My boyfriend gets migraines and vomits from them almost monthly. I cannot deal. I will leave the house and not come back for almost a day. This is not right. I am constantly feeling nauseous because of my anxiety and also my GERD/gastritis. I am just scared to death and I never go out anymore, which is effecting my relationships with my friends.
I also throw away perfectly good food (usually) in fear that somehow it has gone bad. This is also not good because I am wasting it and I am broke because I am a college student. I am on anxiety meds, but sometimes those just do not work.

Anyone else out there who can relate, share stories, or advice? I would love that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Emetephobia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:12 AM »
I can certainly relate! I've also thrown away a lot of food afraid it went bad - or I won't go out to eat during a bad epidemic of a stomach bug.
When I make chicken it's like a surgeon's area around here!  I sterilize everything over and over again, I wash my hands so many times they get raw!  (Ooops, forgot to get something out of the cabinet - can't touch the cabinet handle after touching raw chicken... sterilize hands... open cabinet, put chicken in pot... forgot the Paprika... sterilize hands again to open cabinet and touch Paprika bottle... put lid on pot... oooo maybe the lid handle was contaminated somehow... wash hands again...  when chicken is done I cut it and shove paper towels to the bone to make sure there is no blood) And then you have the people (co-workers) who will describe in DETAIL their bout with the stomach virus!   PLEASE!!!  I DON'T NEED TO HEAR THAT!!!  But how do you tell them that?   On Thursday I had a guy to do that to me, I came home shaking and depressed.
It's just horrible to deal with this all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emiloo09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »
UGH!! yes, like how do you explain to someone to stop talking about getting ill because it causes anxiety and fear? They will just laugh. It is seriously debilitating. Im the same way with cooking. I will almost burn my chicken so that I know that it is cooked all the way through. Then, when I eat out, I convince myself every time that the chicken isn't cooked so I end up not eating it. Waste!!!! I just cannot help it and everytime I know someone is ill or even hear about it, I get a panic attack. Spot on and quickly. It is completely awful. I am glad you replied. Thank you! and I wish you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
What I don't get is why these people have to go into DETAIL!   Like they start telling you EXACTLY what they were feeling a day before (it may have had nothing to DO with the sickness anyway) and then they go into detail how many times they puked, then this, then that....   
I hear ya with burning the chicken too!  I tell my husband, "Dinner's ready when the smoke alarm goes off"   ;D

And does this ever happen to you?  You'll be in a crowded place, you can't hear anyone's conversation because there are so many people talking at once, all you hear is murmuring and blah, blah, blah, and things banging (or silverware clattering if you are in a restaurant), then all of a sudden one lone voice seemingly booms out of the cacophony... "Yea, she was throwing up yesterday"   everything around you goes "silent" and your antenna radar just zooms into that entire conversation from across the room!   JEEZ!!!  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline emiloo09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
Yeah, I drive my boyfriend crazy because he likes his chicken juicy and I just burn mine all the time.

And yes, if I hear the words, "nauseous", "vomit", "puke", "get sick", "throw up", etc, I will immediately start to listen and then give myself anxiety about someone I dont even know. Lol. It is crazy. I once had a panic attack watching a documentary about a hospital when someone was getting sick. Like, really?!  :traurig001: ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:06:05 AM »
You think that's bad, I won't eat a black and white cookie because on a Seinfeld episode he ate one and got sick!  (My daughter always now refers to those cookies as "Seinfeld Cookies")  Top THAT one!   B-;
Bookmark and Share

Offline shuttterbug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
Ugh. I've suffered from this my whole life. I remember seeing someone become ill in public as a child and that is how it started. I go through periods where I'm just fine but really fear getting pregnant just because of the morning sickness.

I carry peppermints with me everywhere. They really do help if i'm anxious/nauseated. But I relate to Sunlover, EVERYTHING in the kitchen is sterilized with chicken...If i see even hints of pink (probably imaginary), i don't eat it. I don't like buffets/potlucks. I laugh at that Seinfeld episode too.. also he is an emetophobe... he broke his "streak" -- like 12 years!

Kind of a funny phobia if you think about it...Terrifying and debilitating if you suffer from it. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »
Ugh. I've suffered from this my whole life. I remember seeing someone become ill in public as a child and that is how it started. I go through periods where I'm just fine but really fear getting pregnant just because of the morning sickness.

I carry peppermints with me everywhere. They really do help if i'm anxious/nauseated. But I relate to Sunlover, EVERYTHING in the kitchen is sterilized with chicken...If i see even hints of pink (probably imaginary), i don't eat it. I don't like buffets/potlucks. I laugh at that Seinfeld episode too.. also he is an emetophobe... he broke his "streak" -- like 12 years!

Kind of a funny phobia if you think about it...Terrifying and debilitating if you suffer from it. :(

I too had feared getting pregnant due to morning sickness!  But it never happened. (morning sickness that is)  I'd actually get nauseated at times, but it wasn't that "sick" nausea, and I personally never threw up.
(and I can top Seinfeld's streak by a mile!!   46 years!!).  I think I am so afraid of it that my subconscious won't let it happen!)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: