Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Migraine Sufferers - Read?  (Read 166 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Migraine Sufferers - Read?
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
Hey guys!

So first of all, I've posted about this before over the years.... but it's recently happened and i thought id look for some advice.

I get migraine auras (have done for 11ish years). They come in sets of 2 or 3 within a couple of weeks, then i might not have any for a month or so. (Not a constant pattern, but a pattern i've noticed) They often come with headaches, that i can manage with over the counter meds. Nothing major (thankfully) and within an hour i'm usually fine.

However, ever since i became REALLY anxious (around 09/10) i've had a strange migraine like event occur after i've had my migraine "flurries".

My vision in ONE eye (unlike both eyes for regular migraines) goes strange. It's similar to that of a migraine aura. A bit flashy, i see stars and a bit gray. Now, these only last 2 minutes. They come on fast, move around my vision and leave. But they are pretty trippy! I get NO headache after. It's just an eye thing.

I'm wondering a few things, you might be able to help with.

1) These only last a few minutes, if that. Is this normal for any migraine you know of?
2) They are slightly different but DIRECTLY related to my migraine flurries. Are they a different tpye of migraine? Retinal?
3) From a web search, retinal migraines are vision LOSS? on most occasions. Which include headaches and take hours. So what are these momentary blips?!

I've not seen a doctor. I've spoken to an optician.

The consensus is... They' been happening for 4 years. They come and go in relation to my migraines. I'm fine during them, and after - Just vision. - So the optometrist said it can't be an eye problem. - Great! Right? Well, kinda...

But i'm still puzzled. I'm avoiding the docs. I've never been diagnosed with Migraines by the doc. I've just handled them.

Any advice is great. But please.. don't push me to the Docs! I don't want to go trough a bunch of tests to tell me i have migraines when i know i do haha.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Migraine Sufferers - Read?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
I've also read they may be in relation to stress. (retinal migraines) Which is interesting as i NEVER had thees until i became anxious and depersonalized and all that good stuff. - I actually thought they were panic attacks at one point. That's how linked they were.

But again, retinal migraines seem pretty severe. These last a minute to 3 minutes MAX. And i can see out of the eye... just some sparkles, grey and flashy. It's rather bizarre..

4 years on, i'm still here (thank God!) and no clearer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
nobody got any idea? just looking for some clue really..
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
I get visual migraines with no headache.  In general my migraine attacks come without headaches, or with very mild ones.  Not complaining, since the headaches I used to get when I was younger are not something I miss. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
Thanks molly! I get them too, thought rarely.

But these happen in one eye and only last a minute or 2. Very odd.

Anyone heard of these before? Had these?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Hi Dayvid - I have similiar experience to mollyfin. Sounds like what you are having is an aura migraine, but where you are getting them so frequently, perhaps see a doctor to see if they can give you some medication to help with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
Thanks.

I have the classical migraine with aura, and have for 12 years (ish) these are similar but different.

They affect one eye. and i get no pain. they last for a minute or 2.

I'm just trying to figure out if these are RETINAL migraines or just some backlash from my migraine "flurries"

The one eye thing bothers me... even though i know it's not an eye problem exactly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaRielera

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
Most people only think of migraines as being a bad headache. In truth they are problems with the blood flow and the electrical patterns in the brain. Similarly to a stroke, they can cause some really strange symptoms depending on what part of the brain they affect.

I have had two of these. The first one, I lost almost all of my vision in my right eye, and then got a squiggly scotoma afterwards. I didn't realize I was having a migraine at the time because I did not have a headache at the time. I just thought I was going to pass out.

The second one got me admitted to the hospital, I lost vision again, then became extremely confused (I could not remember if the word was 'disoriented' or 'disorientated') and then lost my ability to speak. Me and the docs thought I was having a stroke at first. I had pain in the back of my head, fairly mild though, definitely not as bad as when I had a classic migraine (no aura.)

I've also had a number of what I think are much milder migraines, where I fell confused, nauseous, clumsly, and hallucinated smells and tastes.

It's worth getting checked out by a doctor and getting some brain imaging just to rule nasty stuff out,

Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply! So yours were in one eye only too? I have normal auras (both eyes - same field of vision) but these are ONE eye.

I hope yours are better. I've had these one eye things for 4 years... and they are migraines. I'm just a bit concerned they will damage my retina!

Thanks again

Most people only think of migraines as being a bad headache. In truth they are problems with the blood flow and the electrical patterns in the brain. Similarly to a stroke, they can cause some really strange symptoms depending on what part of the brain they affect.

I have had two of these. The first one, I lost almost all of my vision in my right eye, and then got a squiggly scotoma afterwards. I didn't realize I was having a migraine at the time because I did not have a headache at the time. I just thought I was going to pass out.

The second one got me admitted to the hospital, I lost vision again, then became extremely confused (I could not remember if the word was 'disoriented' or 'disorientated') and then lost my ability to speak. Me and the docs thought I was having a stroke at first. I had pain in the back of my head, fairly mild though, definitely not as bad as when I had a classic migraine (no aura.)

I've also had a number of what I think are much milder migraines, where I fell confused, nauseous, clumsly, and hallucinated smells and tastes.

It's worth getting checked out by a doctor and getting some brain imaging just to rule nasty stuff out,
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaRielera

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
Not a doctor, but I don't think they can affect your retinas, because all the fun is happening in the brain.  :bigsmile:
My mom has had retina problems, and the symptoms were totally different and much more persistent than what we have experienced.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
I get something called Ocular Migranes, and it does all sorts of things to my vision. I see tracers, sparks, my eyes get sore, headache, and I see auras as well. It's normal with an ocular migrane to have something like that come and last a couple of minutes. It's usually a precursor to the throbbing, horrible headache we know and love as the migrane.

No worries mate! If your retina's were being damaged you would see a black veil in your peripherals and eventually entering your central vision, that does not go away. Eye damage in general would include blurriness and double vision, or tunnel vision that Does Not go away. THOSE are the biggies to watch out for.   
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Tags: migraine aura Eye head vision