Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Increasing Paxil from 10 MG, will it assist with low level anxiety?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Jeff Longren

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
     So i have been taking a 10 mg dose of Paxil every morning for the past two years, and I don't know if the physical aspects of my GAD are best served by upping the dosage of the SSRI or taking my Xanax.  The 1mg Xanax makes me sleep (doc indicated I should use it to assist with sleep as needed) and I rarely have full blown PAs like I did in the beginning months (9 of them where I was housebound) but the muscle spasms, low level anxiety simmering that manifests in really desiring the disconnect of Xanax have gotten more often.]
     I cannot take Xanax at work due to the legal ramifications of being on a controlled substance and needing to be able to drive at a moment's notice, and I work 60 hours + a week.  My stress level varies, but I no longer have access to CBT and I see my doc for medication refills every half year or so.  As I recently realised Paxil was an SSRI (thx sickobeingsick!) it might just be a matter of upping the dosage.  My question is as to whether anyone else has upped their dosage of Paxil and seen a cessation of physcal symptoms as a result?
Bookmark and Share
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Offline insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increasing Paxil from 10 MG, will it assist with low level anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
So i have been taking a 10 mg dose of Paxil every morning for the past two years, and I don't know if the physical aspects of my GAD are best served by upping the dosage of the SSRI or taking my Xanax.

You are on a sub therapeutic dose of Paxil. The usual dose range is 20-60mg/day so it would be better to get the dose into that range, especially with the increasing reluctance of doctors to prescribe benzodiazepines (BZDs).

Antidepressants work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells to replace those killed or prevented from growing by chronic stress hormone exposure. To initiate and sustain this requires a minimum dose. Taking less can 'train' the brain to ignore the med increasing the chances of it failing to work.

The 1mg Xanax makes me sleep (doc indicated I should use it to assist with sleep as needed)

BZDs are not good sleeping pills as tolerance to the sedation builds quickly, often within a couple of weeks when they are taken daily. If insomnia is an issue then low doses, 25-50mg, of trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better option. Trazodone is an antidepressant which at doses below 150mg acts only as an antihistamine so it won't interfere with the Paxil.

My question is as to whether anyone else has upped their dosage of Paxil and seen a cessation of physcal symptoms as a result?

If the symptoms are anxiety related, as the ones you've listed often are, then yes, taking Paxil at an effective dose should diminish them, and hopefully eliminate them entirely.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Jeff Longren

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Thank you Ian, I was wondering about my dosage as I have seen so many others listing higher doses in the forums.  I try to avoid taking the Xanax more often then every three days or so, precisely because I am apprehensive about building a tolerance.  I loathe taking pills, and I struggle with the concept daily.  I will ask my doc about increasing the dosage of Paxil and about Trazadone as a sleep aid.
Bookmark and Share
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Offline insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
I try to avoid taking the Xanax more often then every three days or so, precisely because I am apprehensive about building a tolerance.

The risk of tolerance to the benzodiazepines (BZDs) is small, most take less over time, however, they will probably produce dependence in a month or two if taken daily. You're already dependent on the small, though not insignificant, amounts of BZDs which occur naturally in almost all foods. Dependence also occurs with antidepressants. Both BZDs and antidepressants should be weaned off to limit withdrawal effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: