Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do you deal with panic attacks?  (Read 158 times)

Offline kercare

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do you deal with panic attacks?
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »
I was wondering how everyone else deals with their panic attacks? I know the right way is to accept and float with your symptoms, but the symptoms are so scary sometimes I just want to run back to my "comfort zone" and not face them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dreamer0824

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you deal with panic attacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
What is your comfort zone? Also do you have panic attacks at certain places/times, or is it unexpected?  More info would be helpful :)

I have panic attacks when I'm driving, to help deal with it I try to prevent it from happening by chewing gum, listening to calming music and also focusing on where I am driving to and what I will be doing when I get there so that I don't think about whether or not I'm going to have a panic attack.
Also I try to recognize my symptoms early, if my hands start to shake and get sweaty I'll pull over get out of the car and take a breather until it goes away. I know if I try to keep driving with shaking hands I'll have a panic attack. So it may be helpful to keep a journal of your panic attacks to see patterns of how and when they start so you can be more prepared...

Some other things to try:
Taking your shoes off and putting your bare feet on a natural surface such as grass or stone to ground yourself.
Every time you go pee imagine your stresses are releasing from your body (Sorry I know that sounds really weird, but I swear it works for keeping stress levels down which helps decrease anxiety!)

Bookmark and Share

Offline kercare

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you deal with panic attacks?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
My "comfort zone" is my house. A place I know I will be comfortable at and the panic attacks do not attack me there. I usually have my panic attacks in crowded places. Like stores, the mall, sporting events. Especially places where escape will not be easy. I have agoraphobia as well, so being far away from my house causes panic also.

I like the idea of putting bare feet on the grass to be grounded. Good idea. Thanks! :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: