Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hard salivary gland, can't stop thinking worst case  (Read 293 times)

Offline mjk23

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hard salivary gland, can't stop thinking worst case
« on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:40 AM »
I had an appointment with ENT for ETD issues and day before noticed slight swelling on neck.  He told me my salivary gland was hard but not to worry and if I wanted peace of mind could get an ultra sound.

I've tried not googling and have gone up and down with anxiety but it's been a month and I still don't have an appointment.  My original appointment was canceled day before because I was booked for MRI instead of ultra sound.  I then rebooked and had wrong ultrasound done.  It was then recommended I have CT scan done but it had to be approved by radiology department, now waiting days on that approval.

Original script said to rule out tumor or stone, I have no pain so don't think it's a stone and everything I read on google says hard + no pain = bad.  I had slight relief when I thought it might be TMJ (which could be reason for ETD) but ENT told me it wouldn't do this  so now back with the anxiety, imagining worst case scenarios and not being able to stop myself.  I can't find any reason for it to be hard/no pain and not be stone/tumor
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cattia

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hard salivary gland, can't stop thinking worst case
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
Hi,
I just wanted to say that I am going through something similar. I have a slight swelling on one side my my face. My Dr and dentist both couldn't feel any lumps but I am waiting for an ultrasound appointment. I am terrified I have cancer as I also have no pain. However in my googling I did read that tumors of the salivary glands are very rare, and most are benign so I hope that offers you some reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mjk23

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
I guess I just think, yeah they are rare, but why can't I be the one who gets it.

I wish it was something as simple as salivary stone, but I have no pain at all and google really doesn't say it's anything else
Bookmark and Share

Offline mjk23

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Could anything besides tumor/stone make salivary gland hard?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
Yeah it can.  Sometimes they just get hard for no apparent reason.  I have had this problem for a year.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: