Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Odd trigger for adrenalin rush - anxiety?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Tobias

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Odd trigger for adrenalin rush - anxiety?
« on: April 18, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
My GAD acted up a lot a year ago. I ended up getting an MRI as I was slurring words (I thought so anyway) and was afraid to talk to people. Everything was negative. The symptoms stopped at that point. For about 5 months.

Then 5 months ago I started getting these half-dreams as I fell asleep. I could never quite clearly recall them though I usually recalled the words associated with them. Apparently this was hypnagogia. During the time my sleep was totally disrupted. I tried to catch the dreams or stop them. End of story, the hypnagogia is probably 80% reduced now and I am sleeping better. Not perfect sleep but fewer wakings up at night.

So now a new symptom. I've always had adrenalin rushes triggered fairly eaasilly. For me its not a typical rush (I guess) I don't get hot flashes or an adrenalin flow through my body. I get a "rush" in the solar plexus. My stomach. I guess that is a form of adrenalin rush? Feeling it mostly in the pit of your stomach.

So what is happening now is that I can be listening to the radio and someone will say something innocuous. And it triggers the adrenalin rush in the pit of my stomach. What is said is not scary or anything. Sometimes I can see something and it also triggers this.

For instance, I walked past a guy walking his dog and has the quick adrenalin rush. I am not afraid of dogs and this does not happen usually when I am near a dog.

I can't figure why these rushes are being triggered? Does this sound like it could be anxiety? Anyone get this? Its my new worry. Some days I get it a lot, other days not so much. Is there an explanation?

Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Odd trigger for adrenalin rush - anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
It could be anxiety....this triggers adrenaline. Or it simply could be adrenaline and your body is sensitive to it. It's one of those things where I would just let it be. Overanalyzing it can make you more sensitive to it, either worrying when it happens, or happening more frequently which can make your anxiety worse. I'd say let it be :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »
It could be anxiety....this triggers adrenaline. Or it simply could be adrenaline and your body is sensitive to it. It's one of those things where I would just let it be. Overanalyzing it can make you more sensitive to it, either worrying when it happens, or happening more frequently which can make your anxiety worse. I'd say let it be :)

Thanks for reply.

I've always had a quick adrenalin rush to the stomach reaction to "events" but this is not even a significant event. Someone talking on the radio. The trigger is what I am worried about. I will try to analyze, when this happens going forward, what is going on. Is there something in the words or the event - walking past a guy walking the dog - that would trigger this? Something must be triggering it. Hope it is just a form of anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
Commenting again as I'm concerned about this. Like what could be triggering the solar plexus rushes? Well, an innocuous comment on the radio does it often but its got to be something else going on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
Tobias, it is interesting that you should post this. For a number of years I have been getting adrenaline rushes that begin in my chest and go all the way down into the skin of my legs causing a prickly feeling in the skin. I can get these surges due to some emotional thought or somebody even just touching the back of my neck. It really is a horrible feeling. I hope it is just anxiety or an over active neurological system.  If you can tell me anything else about these surges I'd appreciate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
Tobias, it is interesting that you should post this. For a number of years I have been getting adrenaline rushes that begin in my chest and go all the way down into the skin of my legs causing a prickly feeling in the skin. I can get these surges due to some emotional thought or somebody even just touching the back of my neck. It really is a horrible feeling. I hope it is just anxiety or an over active neurological system.  If you can tell me anything else about these surges I'd appreciate it.

Mine are just the adrenalin rush in the stomach. No other places and no other sensations. Touch doesn't trigger it. For me as I posted someone saying something seemingly innocuous can trigger it. Or sometimes seeing something. Like the man walking a dog. It seems that hey cluster. It often happens several times over a short period of time.

I'm stumped as to why this is triggered.

Now there are times when I'll say realize its later than I thought and I am late for an appointment and I'll get the sudden rush to the stomach. Or other semi-startle situations. Those I understand as triggers.

Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
It could be something subconscious. Could be last time you heard a particular song or radio announcer you were having an anxious day--or an adrenaline filled day. perhaps months later even though you've forgotten about it, it's there in the subconscious and your body has the trigger again. Heck, sometimes I get a surge of nervousness when someone compliments me. no good reason for it, but it happens.

My point is that sometimes there isn't a good reason for bodily responses....be they anxiety-driven adrenaline surges or adrenaline surges that aren't anxiety. Now if you were to have these surges daily, for extended periods of time, and were having chest pains, headaches, blood pressure spikes, then yes that's something that needs to be addressed.

But our bodies, as people with anxiety disorders. are sensitized to stimulation. People without anxiety likely have similar adrenaline surges at seemingly innocuous things. (from caffeine, medication, sugar, subconscious memories....or no good reason at all). Someone else may brush it off and not give it much thought. Where with anxiety, we try to analyze and pick it apart for....and then perhaps start to dread these otherwise harmless blips in our day
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »
It could be something subconscious. Could be last time you heard a particular song or radio announcer you were having an anxious day--or an adrenaline filled day. perhaps months later even though you've forgotten about it, it's there in the subconscious and your body has the trigger again. Heck, sometimes I get a surge of nervousness when someone compliments me. no good reason for it, but it happens.

My point is that sometimes there isn't a good reason for bodily responses....be they anxiety-driven adrenaline surges or adrenaline surges that aren't anxiety. Now if you were to have these surges daily, for extended periods of time, and were having chest pains, headaches, blood pressure spikes, then yes that's something that needs to be addressed.

But our bodies, as people with anxiety disorders. are sensitized to stimulation. People without anxiety likely have similar adrenaline surges at seemingly innocuous things. (from caffeine, medication, sugar, subconscious memories....or no good reason at all). Someone else may brush it off and not give it much thought. Where with anxiety, we try to analyze and pick it apart for....and then perhaps start to dread these otherwise harmless blips in our day

This actually makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. Triggering subconscious memories associated with anxiety.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
Hello,

I am finding these comments really interesting as I believe I get adrenaline rushes, but they are in my head - it comes on when I seem to be fairly stressed and feels like the feeling when you get up too quickly off the sofa and come over all funny and light headed with a strange feeling in the head. However I can get this by just standing or sitting. The doctor seems to think it's just a rush of adrenaline which doens't go to my stomach anymore. What do you guys think?

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
Is it just me that gets this sensation in my head???? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
I get these adrenaline rushes. The can be really brutal when you're not in a situation when they are of any help ie running away or fighting. I usually know when I'm about to get one - I would be watching the tele, in complete relaxation mode, when all of a sudden something on my body would twinge. For example: I would get a slight muscle spasm on my chest, I then get a huge dunt of adrenaline in my stomach because I think it's a twinge from my heart, signalling certain death. Some other times I would feel a weird sensation pass through my face up to my head and that what has triggered my full blown panic attacks. I have that well under control now and not had one in ages, maybe twice in the last year. I sometimes feel it coming on, but when I don't react like I used to, it just goes away. The adrenaline is what I seem to get all the time just now, just about every day i get some sort of rush in my stomach. To be honest, I prefer that feeling to the panic attack feeling any day of the week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tobias

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Hello,

I am finding these comments really interesting as I believe I get adrenaline rushes, but they are in my head - it comes on when I seem to be fairly stressed and feels like the feeling when you get up too quickly off the sofa and come over all funny and light headed with a strange feeling in the head. However I can get this by just standing or sitting. The doctor seems to think it's just a rush of adrenaline which doens't go to my stomach anymore. What do you guys think?

:)

Mine are not like you describe yours.

One thing that just happened was 2 days of "external" stress. Family issues. I don't think I had one of these rushes in those 2 days. Not that I noticed anyway. Family issue settled and then I noticed them again. Can't figure that cause the family issue thing was stress and presumably releasing adrenalin.

Do your rushes ever go away for a few days?

Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »
Hello,

I don't get them all the time, I have been recording when I get them and they have improved from happening 7-8 times a week to now once or twice - so I'm holding onto the thought.

I used to get it in the stomach and would be on the toilet within minutes of something happening or hearing something - that hasn't happened for a long time,

It is a horrible feeling though! A fuzzy wave, feel like I may pass out, my head feels odd and light and feels like sand has been poured inside, very weird and very scary!!!!!!! Just like when you stand up really quickly and your head feels funny - a very similar feeling!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: