Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Certain I have ovarian cancer  (Read 723 times)

Offline Bellwether

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Certain I have ovarian cancer
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
I'm post-menopausal, and suddenly I have lots of premenstrual symptoms ... Sore breasts and achy abdomen.  In addition, for the last month or so I've had intermittent sharp, burning pains in my abdomen, just to the left of my belly button.  Some days are awful with almost constant pains.  Then I'll go through several days without any.  I'll think they're done, then I wake up and they start again.  Yesterday, I had to urinate constantly and I thought I had a UTI.  Today I googled ovarian cancer (I know how stupid that was) and I found out that ALL these symptoms are symptoms of OC.  I called for a doctor's appointment and I can't get in until the end of May.

I try to remember how many times I've been sure I had something that turned out to be nothing, but I'm getting older and eventually I really AM going to be sick.

Does anyone have any words of advice?  Anyone know more about OC that could help me so I don't google anymore?

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Certain I have ovarian cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
How many year post menopause are you?  It can be normal to have hormone issues for several years afterward. 

Don't google OC.  It really, truly is very rare.  A check up with your Dr is probably a good idea but I would not jump to OC.  I had a long talk with my Dr about because I have several risk factors and he said even then the chances are very remote.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bellwether

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
I'm one or two years post menopause. 

Unfortunately, how rare a condition is has never eased my anxieties.  It was just as rare for all the people who got it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
I would suggest then that it's normal.  Sorry, I was trying to be comforting. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
If the doctor thought it was anything bad they'd have you come right in. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bellwether

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:37 PM »
I'm sorry soaring falcon, I didn't mean to be rude.  I just meant that when you have health anxiety it just doesn't matter that the odds of you having a disease are low.  I wish I could be more rational.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
I'm sorry soaring falcon, I didn't mean to be rude.  I just meant that when you have health anxiety it just doesn't matter that the odds of you having a disease are low.  I wish I could be more rational.

No apology necessary.  Us HAers rational?  I wish!  I have a good control of my anxiety now but I still have irrational thoughts on a daily basis.  Hugs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenniferio

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
I think my mom had OC - I'm pretty sure she did, in fact.  The docs just said her cancer was very far advanced and they decribed it as being cancer of the entire digestive tract but I think it was OC .  One of her main symptoms was that she said her tummy got so big (and she was a heavy person) that she looked like she was pregnant - this is a classic symtom of UC.  Another thing she complained about was feeling "full up" all the time and doing a lot of belching.
She did, sometimes, complain of having to urinate a lot like having a UTI but her doctor used to give her some little yellow pills that took the feeling away for which she was so relieved.  She kept these pills in her jewelry box they were so important to her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »
Benign ovarian cysts still happen post-menopause and are still way more common than ovarian cancer!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 07:16:48 AM »
My best friend was told she had a cyst the size of a golf ball on her ovary - this was 2 years ago and she is petrified of going to the doctor again.  So she hasn't been!  (she's almost 4 years post menopause) she too urinates a lot and has discomfort in the abdomen.   THAT is most likely the cyst. But obviously it can't be cancer as 2 yeas out she would have more symptoms if not be really sick!
You have no bleeding, right?  That's a symptom too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinjaKitty

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
Hi there, hopefully i can help you out

I was diagnosed with ovarian, cervical and uterine cancer when i was 25 yrs old........... I can defnitly say i didnt experience the symptooms your listing.

I had consistant bleeding on and off for about 6 months with clots that would frighten even the least anxious person, i never had any pain but I did have a constant feeling of something pushing in my womb (these were my cycts) i went for my pap test early and they found abnormal cells in my cervics, further testing showed them to be malignant, i was taken into hospital and tested everywhere had a internal scan and they found masses on my ovaries, my womb and my cevics. After 5 yrs of radiation and chemotherapy im now 16 months in remission and awaiting a radical hysterectomy (i refused one as i wanted another baby), i was told i would never have any more children ( i had a son of 10 nrly 11 at the time) due to all my chemotherapy and radition i would probably be infertile, within 6 weeks of trying to get pregnant i was in fact........PREGNANT!!!!  I gave birth to my 2nd child my beautiful little miracle baby Lucy on 31 July 2012. ow im ready to have it all removed so it doesnt come back to bite me in the ass...........or the womb should i say.

Getting back on track every single symptom our describing my mom had whe she 1st started the change of life...... she felt terrible, sweats, abdominal pain, spotting on and off forthe 1st year or 2 she had the same symptoms of a UTI needing to pee constantly, she also had a really bad change in her natural vaginal fluid it would fluctuate between normal to being just absoloutly yuck, she was the same as you she feared ovarian cancer or prolapse or something terrible, she went to the dr and saw a gynocologist, they tested her pap smear the lot and everything came back normal  apart from the vaginal sisharge which was constably changing due to hormones going nuts, the pain in her tummy was due to the normal fluid we create without a period going back up into her wom and into her tubes, nothing serious .... they put her on different HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and within a month  the pain, the UTI sensation and the abnormal discharge had disappeared.
also polycystic ovary symdrome can still occur in older women during the change its not cancerous its just painful and irritating and the best thing for it is steroid drugs or havin your ovaries removed.

All in all i think your going to be fine and explain what your feeling to your dr and as for a referal to your gynocologist but i think the likelyhood of cancer is slim to none .

I hope this helps

Kitty xx
Bookmark and Share
Currently surfing the anxiety waves!!
Current Meds
5mg diazepam 3xdaily
45mg mirtazapine at night
10mg Nitrazepam nightly
sumatriptan (doses vary)
Naproxen 300mg 3 x daily
Buscopan 20mg 4x daily
Lanzoprozol 30mg daily
Trazadone (dose varies)

Offline Bellwether

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  And thank you NinjaKitty for all your information.  You have certainly been through a lot.  Did you have health anxiety before cancer or did you develop it as a result?

I guess I will call my GP on Monday since I can't get into my OB GYN until the end of May.  I am so uncomfortable ... Just like before my period, but it never stops since I'm no longer getting periods.  The pain in my abdomen is so intense that it makes me gasp, but just as fast, it's gone.  Today I've had no pain at all.  Tomorrow may be different.  I try to tell myself that if I had a tumor it would hurt all the time, but I'm not sure if that's true.  The constantly sore breasts never go away, and I just keep thinking it's because my ovaries are out of wack and secreting hormones that aren't supposed to be there.

I'm very worried.  What's new ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
Last February (of 2013!) I was 16 months post menopause and woke up feeling as though I was about to get my period at any second. It completely freaked me out and triggered a year long (!!!) obsession with having uterine cancer. I immediately went to my gynecologist, who told me that sometimes our bodies have one last hormonal "hurrah" and that experiencing PMS symptoms was normal, especially close to finishing menopause. He said to come back if it didn't stop or I started bleeding. It did stop after a week or so, and I never got a period. I ended up having an ultrasound a few weeks ago, because I was still so fixated on uterine cancer. As it turns out, my uterine lining is very thin - as it should be in menopause. See what your doctor says, but I think these feelings are probably more common than you realize.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bellwether

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
Well, I got a period today ... About 18 month post menopause.  More evidence that something is very wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
You may have a fibroid or polyp.  Those are benign, but cause bleeding and discomfort.  Yes, see a doctor, but no need to panic yet.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: