Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Recurring Virus or IBS?  (Read 89 times)

Offline ejwall

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Recurring Virus or IBS?
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »
I've posted about this before, but I would really appreciate some advice again.  My husband keeps getting bouts of gas, belching, and watery diarrhea.  His back has also been hurting him, and the back pain seems to be worse during the gastro flare-ups. He's been the to doctor and has been told it may be a virus, but the symptoms have been going away and coming back since Thanksgiving last year.  His doctor said the last time he went in that if it recurred again, he would send him for a scope of some kind.  I'm terrified that there is something seriously wrong - I'm afraid he has colon cancer, or Crohn's Disease, or something else major and terrifying.  He also seems to get these symptoms on weekends or long weekends (when his doctor isn't working, of course).
Can a virus go away and come back like this?  Could it be IBS?  We've been under a pretty constant barrage of stress for several years now (my mom's chronic illness, my dad's illness and death, our dog died, we moved), and I've recently had a major HA attack that caused a LOT of tension between us.  I'm trying not to freak out about his symptoms, but I'm so afraid that's there's something new, major and awful happening to him that I can barely function.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Recurring Virus or IBS?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
It actually sounds like a food sensitivity or allergy to me.  My father has similar problems if he eats green peppers and my mother can no longer tolerate raw onions even though she used to eat them with no problem.  (They are in their 60's now and this stuff started in their late 40's /50's). Could he keep a food log to see if these episodes are tied to eating something particular?  Some folks I know with gluten sensitivity have similar issues as well btw.

My friend has Crohns and unless he is having violant cramping then it is unlikely to be that.  She keeps her disease well managed with meds and leads a perfectly normal life with a few dietary restrictions so it is by no means a death sentence.

Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Recurring Virus or IBS?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
I don't have an answer because my husband is the same way (no back pain though, just gut pain) but his has been going on since August and is worse on the weekends (he won't see a doctor), the same had started happening to my mom for YEARS, she told the doctor and the doctor asked her if there was any blood or mucus, there wasn't and then the doctor didn't seem concerned.   FINALLY my mom cut out dairy and it ALL stopped!  (she was NEVER lactose intolerant in her life, but her system changed and now obviously she is)  I told my husband to cut out dairy and it DID seem to help - if he eats cream cheese it gets bad!  So... find out if your husband has any blood or mucus (if not, that's good then), and even if there is mucus or blood it could STILL be IBS and hemorrhoids.  And start to notice if he eats more dairy on the weekends or something.  His system could have changed and he became sensitive to something.  ALSO, if he is eating a lot of fake sugar (Equal, etc - or hard candies that are sugar free) that could cause that too!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: