Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Scare  (Read 767 times)

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Scare
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
It's sad to see how much you suffer from fear of disease you don't have 100%.

Therapy, exercise, meds and most importantly Stop Googling and your anxiety should subside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
I can open my hands and feet freely. Occasionally my foot cramps up and makes it harder but that's only after like 10 minutes of stretching my big toe. Basically, it cramps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Thanks Hypo. I'm sure we've all been down this road (everyone on this forum).
Bookmark and Share

Offline JZK

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »
ALS is my biggest fear--and I have many, believe me.  I've had total body twitching off and on for many years.  The latest episode, which ended about a week ago, the twitches would be all over, jumping from my calf, to bicep, to foot, etc.  At night the arches in both feet would cramp really bad.  This went on for weeks.  This time I was sure it was ALS.  Then I figured out that I had just started doing heavy lunges without wearing sneakers (no arch support), so that must have been the cause of the cramps.  As far as twitching, it's just something that comes and goes for me.  A friend's father had ALS years ago, and I remember he said his father had a hard time reaching for things in his back pocket.  Other cases usually present with clumsiness and tripping.  I wouldn't worry too much about random twitching without other symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
I just feel more sensitive . Hands and arms always hurt. Whenever I skate now my calf muscles are dead for like three days. One time I skated and went to the park and walked around. I literally had the worst calf muscle pain for days..just skated last week and no pain at all. Weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »
I just feel more sensitive . Hands and arms always hurt. Whenever I skate now my calf muscles are dead for like three days. One time I skated and went to the park and walked around. I literally had the worst calf muscle pain for days..just skated last week and no pain at all. Weird.

Not weird at all actually.  Maybe a scientific explanation will help you.  When the fight or flight system is activated adrenaline prepares the entire body for war.  The muscles are activated, reflexes get jumpy, senses are enhanced, etc.  The problem with those of us with lingering anxiety is the system doesn't really ever turn off.  The nervous system learns a new baseline...and the systems used to keep you alive now become your enemy.  That enhanced sensation?  Pain.  That hyperactive nervous system...twitching, cramping, and perceived weakness.  When unused adrenaline sits around it makes your muscles more susceptible to injury specifically overuse syndromes.  Things you once did and had no problem with...well now they exhaust your muscles, leaving them tired, inflamed and painful.

Your symptoms are completely explainable and make sense medically.  Nothing about your history concerns me...and I'm not one for merely consoling people with HA with poor advice or pats on the back ignoring scary symptoms.  I will tell you this...it only gets worse unless you deal with the underlying cause.  Once your nervous system has turned on you, the only way out is to realize you are at a crossroads.  This thing will cripple your mind, body and spirit.  You are creating real dysfunction that will strip you of all that is good in your life.  I say you, because you DO HAVE A CHOICE.  You are not a victim...and you can choose to not engage catastrophic thinking.  When you are triggered you can hey I don't believe you body...you are telling me I am sick...but I am young and healthy.  We all have to face our own mortality.  We have to come to terms with it...peace with it...and come to acceptance that when it's our time...it's our time.  We have little control over what that looks like...but we can choose to enjoy today...to engage all that is good, love, faith, family, God, service and live a life of meaning and fulfillment.  You going to let a cramp or a twitch steal that from you?  If you haven't seen a pastor, a counselor, a mentor, or all the above...then do so.  Actively attack this beast of HA...and take back your life.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
I realized how much if my life this is taking away from me. I'm ready to just let this go and move on. Until I really have a problem I'm done with this. In order for this to get better I have to stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
I realized how much if my life this is taking away from me. I'm ready to just let this go and move on. Until I really have a problem I'm done with this. In order for this to get better I have to stop.

Good.  And the next time you are triggered by a new symptom come back to the post above and re-read it...over and over until the fear goes away.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
The only thing that freaks me out is this indent in my left palm... Any way I can upload or send pictures and see what you guys think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »
The only thing that freaks me out is this indent in my left palm... Any way I can upload or send pictures and see what you guys think?

You can but atrophy of the hands doesn't usually show up there.  It's between the thumb and index finger.  If you can put your thumb against the index finger and there is a little hump there, there isn't atrophy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
I see. Still weird. Calming myself down. The muscle on my left hand is a lot smaller than the one on the right. Is that normal? In regards to the thumb against your finger.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
I see. Still weird. Calming myself down. The muscle on my left hand is a lot smaller than the one on the right. Is that normal? In regards to the thumb against your finger.
  Yep, on my dominant hand mine right quite a bit bigger on my right.  That is perfectly normal. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
Awesome. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »
Lately when I wake up I feel my left arm is weak. It gets so numb sometimes. Maybe the way I'm sleeping? It comes back to life after like 3 minutes. Back to fully functional.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Any thoughts to my above post? Also, is it normal to stretch your feet out and it takes your big toe a few seconds to rise back up fully where he other toes are? Should I just let this all go?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: