Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Scare  (Read 557 times)

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS Scare
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
ALS Scare
I've been on this ALS scare for over three months. It all started with a dull back ache that usually comes about when I'm sitting down at work. Of course, I consulted google and instantly found twitching and ALS. Ever since then the twitching has been so bad. It's literally all over but predominantly in my calfs. I've spent too much money and time on this. I don't have any clinical weakness and apart from boney knees and my left palm looking smaller than my right I don't notice anything. The twitching is ruining me. I've seen a primary care doctor, a er room doctor and a neuro. All neurology tests were good (just basic neuro exams like stand on one foot, walk, etc). I know this is more than likely anxiety but I can't shake this fear. It keeps me from sleeping and I hate it. I hate the twitches. I'm currently on celexa and a vitamin d pill. if the twitching was related to ALS, would I have noticed weakness 3 1/2 months later? Help! I've been known to over react and have been to the doctor for a lot of things. I'm 22 and a male. I need more reassurance and a helpful way to rid myself of this fear. All my doctors and my twin brother look at me like I'm crazy.Last September I happened to fall in the woods while running. If it was foot drop from ALS would my foot still be unable to do daily activities? It's still sensitive every once in a while. I heard a story of a pitcher who got hit in the hand with a baseball and his hand never healed the same and he got ALS. Any correlation?! Someone help I just for understand why the twitching is so frequent..

Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Scare
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Frequent twitching is common with benign fasciculation syndromes.  Twitching without weakness or atrophy means nothing.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
I haven't noticed any atrophy. Like I said, my knees are boney as ever though. As far as weakness goes my ankle is occasionally cram it and sore. If I bend down for too long and get up it's hard to walk on for a few seconds, like it's stiff. I can still skateboard and do other activities. I guess that wouldn't be considered immobility.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mookie15

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
You need to chill out.  First of all you are 22.  *** Is extremely rare to begin with and the likelyhood of you having it at that age probably goes from 1/100,000 to 1/250,000.  Not saying it's not possible but I believe we all have a 1/75,000 chance of getting struck by lighting to put it in perspective.   

I have twitching everywhere, slurred speech, dull back ache, muscle cramps as well and my neuro has given me clean bill of Health as has yours, but I still doubt him every second of every day because I have HA.  Same like you he only did a physical check no eeg.  But we need to believe them. Have they been wrong, sure, but if they were wrong often they wouldn't be neuro's, trust me on that.

i would suggest therapy if you aren't already in it with a clinical or psychologist who can help.  Has been successful for me in the past, but came back at me this time extra strong because I let my guard down. Stay on your meds and keep occupied.  Try yoga or cross fit get the endorphins moving..   Don't worry about *** unless you have clinical weakness somewhere and even then still it's a possibility you wouldn't have it.  They do say *** can possibly happen after a major surgery or injury, but it doesn't seem like you have had either of those.  Your age for me is the caveat.  If you were my age 43, then you might need to get a closer look.  Even still so rare.  I'd love to be 22 again.  Enjoy yourself and stop worrying about disease. You can't do anything about it.  Stay healthy and active and the rest will fall into place.  I was you 21 years ago and I'm still here. Barely, but Im still here.  Lol. 

The twitches are so annoying but as your anxiety increase so will your twitching.  Whatever you have to do to relax, do it. You will see the twitching subside. 
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »
I haven't noticed any atrophy. Like I said, my knees are boney as ever though. As far as weakness goes my ankle is occasionally cram it and sore. If I bend down for too long and get up it's hard to walk on for a few seconds, like it's stiff. I can still skateboard and do other activities. I guess that wouldn't be considered immobility.

None of that remotely sounds like ***.  I cramp in both hands, and both feet.  I twitch most places on my body.  I have had perceived weakness in arms and legs.  I have had brisk reflexes...all the stuff that scares most of us.  If you stop being able to do things you normally do, that is concerning...but that comes before twitching...as stated by many experts in ***.  SO rest easy and put this away.  I assume if you ride a skateboard you are relatively young...which makes *** which is already rare much less likely.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
You need to chill out.  First of all you are 22.  *** Is extremely rare to begin with and the likelyhood of you having it at that age probably goes from 1/100,000 to 1/250,000.  Not saying it's not possible but I believe we all have a 1/75,000 chance of getting struck by lighting to put it in perspective.   

I have twitching everywhere, slurred speech, dull back ache, muscle cramps as well and my neuro has given me clean bill of Health as has yours, but I still doubt him every second of every day because I have HA.  Same like you he only did a physical check no eeg.  But we need to believe them. Have they been wrong, sure, but if they were wrong often they wouldn't be neuro's, trust me on that.

i would suggest therapy if you aren't already in it with a clinical or psychologist who can help.  Has been successful for me in the past, but came back at me this time extra strong because I let my guard down. Stay on your meds and keep occupied.  Try yoga or cross fit get the endorphins moving..   Don't worry about *** unless you have clinical weakness somewhere and even then still it's a possibility you wouldn't have it.  They do say *** can possibly happen after a major surgery or injury, but it doesn't seem like you have had either of those.  Your age for me is the caveat.  If you were my age 43, then you might need to get a closer look.  Even still so rare.  I'd love to be 22 again.  Enjoy yourself and stop worrying about disease. You can't do anything about it.  Stay healthy and active and the rest will fall into place.  I was you 21 years ago and I'm still here. Barely, but Im still here.  Lol. 

The twitches are so annoying but as your anxiety increase so will your twitching.  Whatever you have to do to relax, do it. You will see the twitching subside.

Lets just put it this way...even with clinical weakness of a single limb, asymmetric hyperreflexia, pathologic reflexes and atrophy...the vast majority of those cases are not ***.  Most of those have a disc issue impinging the spinal cord which is easily correctable with surgery. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »
I'm taking my meds as recommended. I am under a lot of stress and I think my primal care doctor saw that which is why she prescribed me celexa for anxiety. She didn't even really ask me about anxiety but basically assumed since I was 22 and concerned about ALS I probably had it, hence the prescription. I need to move on from this already but the twitching won't subside. I'm sure if it was true ALS then almost four months of twitching would surely have other symptoms too.. Thanks guys.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
I'm taking my meds as recommended. I am under a lot of stress and I think my primal care doctor saw that which is why she prescribed me celexa for anxiety. She didn't even really ask me about anxiety but basically assumed since I was 22 and concerned about ALS I probably had it, hence the prescription. I need to move on from this already but the twitching won't subside. I'm sure if it was true ALS then almost four months of twitching would surely have other symptoms too.. Thanks guys.

The people who complain of twitching alone who are later diagnosed with ***, are so few they become case studies.  Now there are some who complain of twitching but upon examination the neuro sees in quick order other things are wrong.  While I'm not against meds in some individuals, I think this mentality of a quick fix with meds hurts people.  There are no quick fixes.  If meds are used they should accompany talk therapy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
NK9 IM GOING TO PM YOU!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
Please do! The twitching won't go away and I wake up feeling like I should throw up. Feeling so sick.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Is the cramping involuntary? Or is it cramping when you stretch toes out, or tense calf muscles?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bellwether

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
I have been through this.  Had twitching in my right hand constantly for over a year.  I had every neurological test available, some more than once.  I finally accepted that I don't have ALS ... I'm just a twitcher.  Currently, my right foot has been twitching for about six months.  Highly annoying, but not life-threatening.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
Is the cramping involuntary? Or is it cramping when you stretch toes out, or tense calf muscles?

Can be either but neither have anything to do with ***.  Cramping is very different than spasticity.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
What's the difference? I only cramp when I basically tense my muscles or stretch them as hard as I can
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
Spasticity is limb contorting, like curl your feet up so you can't walk or ball your hand up so you cant open it.  Often the patient would have to go to the ER to get meds to get it to release.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: