Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Vit B12 low  (Read 359 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Vit B12 low
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »
I just got my blood work results back and everything was picture perfect ezcept my vitamin B12 was "low/normal" with a level of 607. Normal was 650. Doctor says just take an extra vit B12 supplement but of course I googled and I'm worried why its low? Last year my vitamin D was low  and now after supplants its picture perfect at 49. It was 19. I'm freaking out over my Vitamin B12 now! I even take a multivitamin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vit B12 low
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
I have low B12 and take an injection every 6 weeks. It's been that way for over 10 years
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
Are you vegetarian?  Good sources are meat, eggs, milk, cheese, and fish.  Your level wasn't drastically low---it was just about normal.  Don't let it worry you; keep in mind HA makes a person think of the worst case scenario when there is actually nothing to worry about :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
No big deal.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:36:42 AM »

i

i would probably take a pill-retest in 60 days.

i

l
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
I'm going to go buy a bottle of B12 and start taking the. Today. It's very intetesting to read the side effects of low B12. I have never had any of them however then are so much like a lot of nuerological symptoms people have on here. It also causes anxiety which I totally have. I know a few anxiety OCD people who swear by B vitamin terapy. I hope just an additional supplement helps. I will ask for a re test in a couple months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
Again, it's best not to research these kinds of things. You think a simple google search will just bring up a little useful information, but invariably it ALWAYS leads to something that sets our anxiety off. Best to just stay away. Your level is BARELY low, and from my experience, chronic stress/anxiety can actually lower these levels, too.

What did your doctor say about the low level? Did the recommend a supplement?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
Are you on an SSRI?  These are known to deplete b12.  I take a supplement in the form of an adult gummy vitamin and it has really helped.  Only trouble is not eating the whole bottle...damned things are tasty!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
They just told me to take a B12 supplement which I went and bought today. I actually read more and kind out that elevated levels of B12 is actually worse. I hope my additional supplement will help boost my level to normal. The doctor wasn't concerned at all. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
No I am not on any medication. Was proscribed Zoloft Tuesday but haven't taken it yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »
Stop googling!!!!

Ahem. Sorry.  :angel-smiley-006:

I had low potassium last year and had to stay in hospital overnight on a drip. Was a nightmare. Not sure why but I was losing potassium through urine and my electrolytes were off as well. I was given this nasty tasting stuff to drink, went back for more blood tests a week later and levels were normal. I think you and I are around the same age, Lindsay.

Sometimes these things happen. My mother is also low on one of the B vitamins, and has to take a supplement. It's just one of those things, no huge deal. Most of us aren't getting enough of one thing or other. Could be diet, could be lifestyle, could be genetics.

And please give the zoloft a try  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
I'm 26 and will be 27 next month. I tend to highly stress about anything yay could possibly mean poor health. I'm still an absolute wreck over my sig Monday. It's terrible. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »
Stop googling!!!!

:yes: Yep. snowberry speaks truth.

If you're going to keep googling—which you will—at least keep in mind that every time you open the browser window, you're going to make things worse for yourself. Your anxiety is not being created in a vacuum, your very actions are what's causing it to expand, and if you have any hope of feeling better, you're going to eventually have to change your actions.

Just keep that in mind.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
I know how it feels, hon - that's why all of us are here. I'll be 26 this year so we're very close in age. Try to think of it like this:

There are so many different vitamin and mineral supplements on the market BECAUSE this problem is so common. They're available without prescription because it's no big deal to be low on this or that. Hell, I need evening primrose every day just to not be in constant pain on one side due to hormone-related cystitis. There are people with great diets who are low on something or other - many of us need an extra boost.

And the zoloft will help you cope with Monday  :yes: - the day you will get your all-clear.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Fyi Zoloft has given me my life back!  The start up can be a pain but the long term benefits are worth it.  If your doc said to take it then do so.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything